Cook Islands - Rarotonga


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
April 10th 2015
Published: April 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, it's very relaxing here as you can imagine, yesterday afternoon we caught the local bus to the night market at Muri. Now there are only two local buses, one is called 'Anti-Clockwise' and the other is called 'Clockwise', well to begin with, we both couldn't get our heads round it, we had the map of the island, turning it this way and that way, the lady who runs the bungalows was watching us, thinking, how on earth did these two get here !!! Well, we have now gone around the island all the way on the bus which costs 8 dollars (NZ) each, doesn't matter how long you're on there, that's what it costs. They are the same two drivers, so they now know where we have to get off as they don't seem to understand our accents !! Mind you, you can't get lost because it just goes around in a circle on the same road !! Anyhow we caught the bus yesterday afternoon, visited the night market which was a food market and we had delicious chicken coconut curry and a stir fry dish, we also had a drink on the beach which was just heaven, then back on the bus again going either clockwise or anti-clockwise, haven't got a blinkin clue !!! Stu who now gets this clocking business thinks I'm the dinney !! true I do believe I have 'head block', but as I said to Stu, 'it's not that important', just get on the bus and eventually you'll end up at your destination !!!! That's the way I see it !! This morning we caught the bus again into town, walked around, nosing in the shops, walked to the museum which was closed. Found the First Prime Minster's grave, have no idea why we were looking but we do have a notion of visiting graves when we are away. Had lunch down at the beach, in Traders Jack, overlooking Avarua Harbour, we had Cajun blackened Dorey fish, really scrummy, did some more walking, found the bus, hopped on anti or clockwise, whatever !! And bus driver told us where to get off again !! Very enjoyable day. Beautiful island and helpful friendly people, just gorgeous. Oh and we didn't leave NZ Tuesday night, it was Monday night, it's going to be very challenging when were back home and at work, we have completely switched our brains off !!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



10th April 2015

Do your head in
It was Tuesday night when you left New Zealand. On the way you crossed the international date line and arrived on Monday. When you come back here you will lose a day again. Still think the buses are complicated?
11th April 2015

Hi karol I think majority of people would have been the same bout the bus. Doesn't really matter whether anti or clockwise just get on!! I think you will need a couple of weeks off When you get back it may be a shock!! Bit like jetlag!!!! Keep safe and enjoy. Love to you both Xx

Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb