And you thought we'd gone...


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
January 8th 2009
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kia Orana from the Cook's. We've found an Internet cafe just down the road so I can blog you...

Song of the Day - Les Fleurs by 4Hero

The trip is now in 'chill out' mode. Having packed so much into the preceding countries, there is little to do and that we want to do where we are. The place where we are staying is on the shores of a shallow lagoon, and time is spent swimming, sun-bathing or playing French cricket. But for me the best bit is taking out a kayak and just drifting over rocks that are populated with a lovely array of tropical fish that puts my home tank to shame (for the Dalglish's benefit it is like paddling through some of Swallow Aquatics' tanks). Unfortunately I don't have access to anything to look up what we've seen, but I think we've seen parrotfish and angelfish amongst many others. On the first day, some very tame dogs were chasing porcupinefish through the shallows - a fish which blows up like a football when threatened. Today the boys and I spotted a beautiful aquamarine thing that was probably 3 feet or so in length.

I also want to mention the resident bird that I haven't found out the name of yet, but is ubiquitous and has a call almost as entertaining as the NZ tui.

Although beautiful surroundings, I think I am not alone in feeling that it's time to come home soon. It feels like we've been away for months rather than weeks....

*****************************

Mark has written some entries from New Zealand...

Kiwi sanctury and i go surfing!



One night we got in the car to go to the kiwi sanctuary any guess what we got lost on the way and then we got there.....eventually
first we went into this hut got torches any went off to our 2k walk which was only a third of the whole place and we saw this fence which has been reinforced to keep animals like possums, rabbits, cats and rats away we went through this gate and we had officially gone into the sanctuary. Then we came to these boxes which made the sound of the kiwi and the more high pitched on is actually the male. Anyway we walked on and then we saw a feeding station which a Kaka (the equivalent to a Kea) was stepping on and pecking on little pellets it was really sweet. Then she showed us this weta (kind of like a cockroach) hotel. Daniel and i thought it was really cool but everyone else was going yuk!
We walked on and got to a pier thing on the disused reservoir (it big plus i forgot to mention that!) Eventually we got to another feeding station and there was another Kaka (not the Brazilian football player) munching on pellets plus underneath them there was two ducks getting the scraps it turns out that they are the fourth rarest duck in the world! Then we walked on and it started getting dark and then we started seeing the Glow worms they were amazing, like the stars but smaller and there were thousands and thousands on them like the stars! after that we were walking then we slowed down because Dad Mum and I were at the back we didnt know it was for so i creep up to the the front then i see the Kiwi which they were shining the light on but i only saw it for a second and only its bottom the same with Mum and Dad. We walked back with out any luck of seeing another one so that was the drama that beautiful night.


After we had been staying with Becky and Dave we went off for a great 5 hour drive to Roturura and when we arrived we had pizza in an industrial estate car park great! After that and a look in rebel sport and mum and dad bought shoes and i just wandered around we went to another luge, yes another one. the cable car was nice and big when we got to the top we went on it and it was one of the hardest ones to drive and i crashed into the side but nevertheless i still won then me and DJ went on again and I won then we got the cable car up and we got on a sky swing! Dad Dj and I got strapped up and got lifted up very high then dad pulled the rope and we plummeted 150kph in 2 seconds above the whole city and then we slowed down and we whooped and cheered but before i looked like a fish my mouth open and sheer terror on my face and we should have the vid on the site. Jeez how embarrassing it that going to be!


This morning i got up and went on to the computer. Enough about that lets fast forward to about two hours later......We got out the car and round the side where the surf school was it looked like we were the only ones there then the organizer turned up and let us play swingball while she was getting set up in the end everyone turned up and after we all got suited up we started about practicing the 3 step technique....... on grass then after a lot of practicing and a lot of talking we went into the sea. And went to the guy to let him start us off and after a while we got the hang of it. (You can see pics and Vids somewhere*.) After what seemed no time at all we had to come in but we did a lot of wave catching BONZA! it was amazing but it had to end in the end but they gave me a magazine about surfing and I'm still talking about it now it is the most amazing feeling being on top of the waves. See ya!


Dolphins and Whales



Today we are doing the dolphins and whales cruise so we woke up this morning (feeling fishy) and this is how it went.
we woke up this morning anticipating the day of dolphin and whale watching ahead. So around about 7:00 we went out and walked down to the place we had to go and get breakfast at. It was a costa coffe cafe (ccc) but it took so long to come. We had to get it takeaway (stuff like greek yogurt!) So were tumbling onto the boat (to the front of it) and after about an hour and a half we start to see some beautiful sleek dolphins splashing above the glistening surface of the water quick as a flash they go underwater again then they come up about 5 mins later. Then after a while they come just in front of the boat playing and showing off whilst on deck everyones taking video's and pictures there is a bit off a difference. After a while they go off to do some hunting. I forgot to mention about the birds which were going round in a kind of swarm then diving down and plunging into the water to get fish. later on we found ourselves in amongst the whales and golly they were amazing! We only saw 1/3 of the actual whale but it was still massive and all the same friendly. We got back to the port breathless and amazed but thats how our great day went.

*****************

DJ writes...

My Travel Diary 5



2/1/09:
Well, I am doing today and yesterday, but I am also briefly saying about New Year's Eve. Ok, briefly I shall tell you about 31st. We went to this cool holiday park with a spa place with funny-looking water and a cool waterslide. Yesterday: We went onto a Luge which was really big and had 2 chairlifts. It was fun and the grip on the handle was hard. Ok, I am doing only brief ones because I can't really describe it. Anyway, today we arrived in Auckland. Actually, I am currently writing from our hotel room. We have a good view of the Sky Tower...It's right outside our window...we went up it to the top floor and it was quite high. It's the 14th highest building in the world, standing at 328m high! Quite high. That is all from me today...I am now officially saying...Bye.

Cook Islands:
I am doing a whole one on Cook Islands! So, when it is published, it won't be finished because I haven't left yet. So, I have done Kayaking, which I have traveled to 3 islands. I'm actually quite good at it. We also play a card game called Pontoon. It's pretty fun, and I never actually get a Pontoon. If you want to know how to play it, look on the internet or something. We have also been playing Cricket and French Cricket. In the case of Restaurants, I admit I have mostly had Pizza...Not very exotic. Also, volleyball, football, what-have-you sports that me and Mark are playing.

* Editors note - when I've got round to adding them - Ian

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb