blue mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
March 19th 2014
Published: March 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We had booked a day tour of the Blue Mountains so had to be up.early and at the meeting point for 8:15am. Today the weather reports were storms so had put on leggings but luckily i packed shorts as the sun shone all day.

The mini bus picked us up and we headed firstly to the Nepean River. The river overlooks the tranquil western boundary of Sydney. We stopped for juice and biscuits. The area was full of organised tours that obviously all have the same itinery.

We got back onto the bus and headed to kings tableland apparently the best place to view the wilderness of the blue mountains. We learnt that they are called the blue mountains because they are covered with eucalyptus and when it vapourises the light refracts which produces a blue haze similiar to how the science of why the sky is blue. Im learning lots on this trip. I also learnt that when Australians name things they basically call them what you see for example eucalyptus exudes sap from the bark which looks like gum and some of the trees are stringy some are grey so they basically call it what you see... Grey gum, stringy gum. This was again demonstated when we saw a long street called megalong street ( we have photgraphic proof).

Anyway we made it to Blue.Mountains the view was stunning because it was a sunny day you could see far ahead. It was high up and no railings to stop you from falling. I was brave and sat near the edge and dangled my legs...Darren did not. There was lots of.tourists so getting a picture with noone on it was a task. We spent about twenty minutes there taking in the views.

Next stop was Wentworth falls. This part involved a short walk in the bush. 200 steps later we made it to the waterfall. For some reason i havent been amazed by the waterfalls ive seen. The best one i saw was at the side of the road on the way to Cape Tribulation. It was pretty but didnt appear to have alot of water seeing as its wet season. We climbed back up the 200 steps which is alot harder than going down. There were quite a few older people on.the tour so this process took a little bit longer.

We all made it back on the bus and headed to a small village called Leura (the garden village). It was a cute little village with sandwich and pie shops and little gift shops. We took our own sandwiches and found a bench in the middle of the village.

The next stop.was Katoomba. This is where the Three Sisters rock formation is. The guide told us an aboriginise legend about how the three sisters was formed. Basically a witch doctor who had a magic bone was going hunting and his three daughters wanted to come but they werent allowed but he let them walk some of.the way and were told to.wait at the top of the mountain till he was back. The sisters got bored and started throwing rocks down.the mountain which caused a landslide which woke up the bunyip ( an evil like beast). The bunyip saw the girls at the top and was angry he had been.woken up so he made his way up the.mountain. The dad saw this and with his wishing bone changed his daughters into stone so they werent eaten. This made the bunyip even more annoyed and he looked to see who had done that and he saw the witch doctor. The bunyip then.made his way to the witch doctor so he changed himself to a bird so he could fly away but as.he flew he dropped his magic bone so he never got to change the three sisters back. Thats just one of the legends.

We then went to scenic world. Here they have the worlds steepest inclined railway to the floor of.the canyon (Jamison Valley). We took this and it was steep suprised we didnt get seat belts. We made it to.the bottom and walked around the rainforest. To make it back up we took the cableway and had amazing.views of the three sisters.

The next stop was what was believed to be an.aboriginal site. Here on.the rocks was an engraving of what is thought to be a kangaroo with an arrow through it. Nobody really knows why they did it but its believed it was to symbolise aeeting point for food. We only.stayed for five minutes then made our way to the ferry. We were early so the guide took.us around Olympic Park where sydney was host in 2000. The stadiums.are now.used for concerts etc.

To get home we were given.tickets to catch the ferry down the parramatta river back to Darling harbour. It was nice after.spending time.on the mini bus.

It had been a long day. We made it back to.the hostel at half seven hungry and warm. We had a shower and.made our way out. Tapas and sangria for tea yummy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb