It's coming to an end...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
May 8th 2010
Published: June 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I was looking forward to driving to Uluru for quite a while as I have read that there are a few wacky roadhouses on the way down. Our first stop was Daly Waters just 3 km off the highway. All travellers seem to leave anything behind and the whole place is decorated with ID cards, money, flip-flops, knickers and bras!! You name it, it's there. It was also our cheapest campsite for $10 a night.
After that, our next stop was Wycliff Well, known for UFO encounters. Apparently it's the place in Oz if you want to see one of those. Needless the say, the whole place is decorated with all sorts of UFO memorabilia. Ed din't really see the point staying there but in all fairness, how could I drive past there??
Alice Springs was really just a stop over to refresh before heading on to Uluru which turned out to be the shittiest campsite and the most expensive too! Didn't really care though because Uluru made up for it! It is absolutely amazing and the Olgas are equally amazing. We spent a couple of days there and walked around Uluru, which is not really that great. The climb was closed but I wouldn't have done it anyway.

It was time to head towards Cairns and we didn't really look forward to all the driving. We stopped at King's Canyon on the way and it was worth the side trip but we under estimated the drive and we got to our next campsite quite late. There's not much to tell you about the drive to QLD as it was quite uneventful. As we had a little extra time we booked a trip to the Whitsundays. Unfortunately it rained most of the time and only on our last day returning it stopped. It was still nice to see the Great Barrier Reef from that end though.

Our last 5 nights we spent in Cairns and we had booked ourselves into a lovely apartment. We didn't reall do much because we were trying to sell the car and had to drive down to Mackay to leave it with a friend in the end. At least we had time for a day trip out the reef and we had a couple of dives and a snorkel. OMG, it was so beautiful! I have not seen reef like that before and I am so glad we did the dives in the end.

Well, that's our time done in OZ. We had a great time and our car did a great job bringing us all around OZ. In the end we covered almost 17.000 km and not a single day did we have a problem.

Until next time from Japan...


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



5th July 2010

Yo!
Hey dudes, can you switch up my e-mail address from adam.waring@cadbury.com to the_adz@hotmail.com? Thanks, travel rad dudes, travel rad. Adam.

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb