possibly the last entry (if our parachutes don't open)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
December 14th 2008
Published: December 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well everyone, the boys again apologize for the lack of entries, but it takes them a while to pool enough memories together to complete a blog. When they last left off the group was sweating it out in the rainforest heat in Cairns, and it was here that they managed to book what was sure to be a highlight of the trip, sailing in the Whitsunday islands. After another overnight bus ride to Airlie Beach (the boys are getting quite good at sleeping just about anywhere, thank you India and Vietnam) they arrived in the city and met up with more University of Lethbrigde friends for a few nights on the town before sailing. Carl's Canadian accent is getting a lot better after being surrounded by them for the last month, although the boys Swedish is still terrible. The big departure day finally came, and loaded with 16 liters of wine and some rum (there you go Mr. Hoffmann) the group of five made their way onto their boat, the 29 meter Condor.

The Condor was a successful sailing ship for many years, and according to the Captian was still ready to race at any moment. Everytime we had to change direction or put up a new sail, volunteers were asked to man the grinders or get to the main sails or help with other, pirate sounding activities. Having the Captain yell orders that the boys didn't understand at them reminded them both of time spent at G&N, and it was a nice little slice of home in Australia. The scenery around the islands was amazing and every morning the group went snorkling in the islands many reefs. Also, due to jellyfish in the water, everyone had to wear stinger suits, items of clothing widely awknowledged to be the ugliest on earth. Stay tuned for pictures. There were sea turtle sightings everywhere, but the highlight had to be Whithaven Beach, for anyone reading this look it up to see what we mean. It was also fun for the group to be with 23 other people from around the world, and the after supper drinking games were definately memorable (up to a certain point). Nobody in that group will ever forget the name Carl Carlsson and that he is in fact Sweden's finest export, far ahead of Volvo and Ikea. Also the group managed to finish a game of 21's, something that as far as they know has never happened before. It was sad for the time to end, but everyone admitted that it was nice to be able to shower and not sleep in a boiling cabin with everyone else.

After another night in Airlie beach the group headed south back to Brisbane for a few days of sightseeing, including the amazing Sunday party that is the Normanby. It was a short ride from there to Surfers Paradise to sit on the beach and enjoy the nightlift there. Lots of pub crawls, lots of fun. Tomorrow the five have booked skydiving as well, so if this is the last blog entry you'll all know why. Pray for us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb