Homeward Bound


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
July 18th 2021
Published: July 21st 2021
Edit Blog Post

None of this lying-in bed for hours on Sunday morning. We were on a mission … we weren’t quite sure if we would be staying the night in Crystal Brook or Balaklava. As it turned out it was neither.



It was the last day of the school holidays so there was plenty of early activity in the park … and plenty of traffic on the roads both heading north and south.



Just up the road we pulled over to adjust our caravan mirrors then pushed on to Port Augusta where we bought fuel. Just out of town we pulled into a lovely parking bay for mid-morning coffee. It was a large parking bay situated on a wide creek … actually most of it seemed to be in the creek bed. It had the most beautiful old really big red gums. The road passed by on the western side with a railway bridge on the eastern side. Looked like the perfect spot to free camp as long as you didn’t mind the road noise, the odd train and kept an eye out for creek flows. We could just imagine campers being caught unawares by the sudden appearance of flood waters.



Joan was wandering around with the camera taking her million and one shots when a rumbling sound caught her attention. Suddenly a long freight train came thundering passed just metres away.



By this stage we had already decided we would head to Balaklava for the night, and seeing a sign pointing that direction we took it and found ourselves in Balaklava much earlier than we had anticipated. So, what the heck … why not go the last little bit and make it back to the Barossa.



By this stage we had heard there had been a CoVid case in SA so were comfortable that we had made the right decision and that we were better off to be home.



Monday, we cleared out the caravan … plenty of washing to take home to rid of bull dust … stacked the vehicle and headed home to a Lock Down!



What a great trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Awesome! Awesome!
Awesome!

We picked a bowl of sugar snap peas from the garden when we got home.


Tot: 1.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb