Careening Bay, Prince Regent River & Camp Creek


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
April 28th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Boab TreeBoab TreeBoab Tree

This giant Boab was only a short walk from the sandy bay. As it is now old and is regularly visited by tourists, a metal boardwalk has been built to protect its roots from compaction.
Geo: -15.4295, 125.061

This morning we had an early light breakfast and headed off in Explorer to Careening Bay, so named because the explorer/surveyor Phillip Parker King stopped there in 1820 for two weeks to repair his cutter, the Mermaid. King's men carved the ship's name into a large Boab tree and “HMC MERMAID 1820” remains clearly visible to this day.

We returned for a full breakfast and then cruised for a few hours to St George Basin at the mouth of the Prince Regent River. After lunch we went on a long excursion up the river and some of its tributaries, to view the scenery and spot wildlife.

In the middle of the day there wasn't an abundance of wildlife to be seen, but we did spot a Monjon wallaby (only found in the Kimberley), a few species of birds, zillions of red and white Fidler crabs, two crocodiles and a distant estuarine dolphin. Not a great return for over four hours of looking, but the countryside and reflections were pretty. Fortunately the Explorer is comfortable, and it does have a unisex toilet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Boab CarvingBoab Carving
Boab Carving

We wondered how big the letters originally were, two hundred years ago.
BowerBower
Bower

The boudoir of the Greater Bower Bird.


2nd May 2015

Experiencing software/internet probs. Hope to resolve soon...
4th May 2015

Oh Dear! Poor Sel. You are really in a very isolated area of the world.
4th May 2015

Are you flying to Perth from Broome or driving?

Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb