Great town promotions - Menzies


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
June 15th 2014
Published: June 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

As we walking around Menzies we discovered that there are two very impressive sets of markers. One relates to the history of the Wongi (local indigenous people) since settlement and how they have progressed and struggled at the same time.

The Wongi markers are made out of iron which has rusted and where there are black highlights it is a thin layer of plastic. Each of the markers has an explanation panel and included are notes from local indigenous people about their memories of earlier time.

We did not manage to get photos of all the markers because the sun was still too low in the sky and interfered with our attempts.

The second set of markers relate to buildings of note about the town. I think they are very well done, attractive and durable.

One thing I forgot to mention in the last blog about Menzies was the story of the clock.

According to the signs there were issues about precisely what the time was in the early years. Everyone's watch was different. telegraph time was set too far away and the whistle time for the mine was about twenty minutes out from everything. It was decided that the shire would purchase a clock to go into the empty clock tower on the town hall.

It was ordered from London in 1904 and shipped out on the steamship SS Orizaba which ran aground near Fremantle with the loss of the clock.

The clock tower remained empty until 1999 when the Menzies Shire commissioned a new clock from a watch maker in Perth. This was installed and unveiled on New Year's Eve in 1999 to celebrate the millennium.

This blog - few words, lots of photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb