Days 16-17 Kununurra


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
July 9th 2013
Published: July 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sunset View KununarraSunset View KununarraSunset View Kununarra

View from our camp site, we grab a drink and sit to watch the sun go down on another great day.
Arrived at Lake Side Caravan Park, very busy got two unpowered sites, ok for us R&E will get moved to powered site tomorrow. Into town to stock up at Coles. Very quiet and most things closed (Sunday). Park is lovely nice grassy site and we are almost on edge of lake, which is very shallow with lots of water lilies and plenty of birdlife, and also some fresh water crocs we are told.

Next day took the back road to Wyndham. Stopping off to look at Middle Springs, Black Rock Falls, the Old Telegraph Station ruins and the Parry Lagoons Nature Reserve and Marlgu Billabong. Walking into the Black Rock Falls we were treated to a special moment, as we approached the pool at the base of the falls a cloud of black and white butterflies rose from the rock crevices. No water coming over as it is dry but still deep pool at bottom.

Amazing view of the flood plains from the old telegraph station, OHS has caught up in the outback the ruins consist of foundations and chimney stacks which have been cordoned of with tape warning asbestos maybe present. There is still water in the wetlands
Bob Bogged in SandBob Bogged in SandBob Bogged in Sand

Provided a bit of entertainment for a couple of locals, said they could bring down the grader to pull us out. Just let the tyres down a bit and we were on our way.
billabongs and abundant birdlife present.

Continued on towards Wyndham and took a diversion down a dirt track to check out the possibility of fishing the Ord River. Oops do not drive in soft sand before you have let your tires down. Lesson learnt Bob. Stopped here for lunch and wet the lines but no luck again, saw some freshwater crocs sunning themselves on opposite bank.

Did a quick tour of Wyndham and up to the Five Rivers Lookout, great views.

On the return journey via the bitumen a last minute stop to check out The Grotto. Another great work of mothernature, over time water has carved out this amazing rock grotto although no water flowing a deep pool at the bottom is the local swimming hole. Continued on back to Kununarra as the sun was setting.

Had a lovely dinner at the Kimberley Grande tonight to celebrate Bob’s birthday, the only disappointment was the coffee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

WyndhamWyndham
Wyndham

Five Rivers Lookout
Kissing BoabsKissing Boabs
Kissing Boabs

These two definitely look like they are hugging each other.
The GrottoThe Grotto
The Grotto

looking down into the swimming hole
Marlgu Billabong.Marlgu Billabong.
Marlgu Billabong.

The billabongs lovely waterlillies
Parry Lagoons Nature ReserveParry Lagoons Nature Reserve
Parry Lagoons Nature Reserve

This is one giant flood plain as far as the eye can see.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb