West Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 3rd 2011
Published: May 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Fresh from our 5 weeks in New Zealand, we landed in Perth, West Australia, with high expectations. It was new territory for both of us and is such a huge State that it was only possible to see a small part of it in the time we were there. A wedding in Margaret River was our destination - about 4 hours driving time south of Perth. The southwest corner of West Australia is full of wineries, olive groves (with tastings), boutique chocolate factories (more tastings), small historic towns, beaches for surfing and swimming, national parks and wildlife.
The four day wedding celebration was very special as we had known the groom since he was born. His parents, Iain and Ros Henderson, are dear friends and it was marvelous to see them and all their family from UK after all our months of travel. The wedding itself was in a vineyard with the rows of grapes alongside us - marvelous. We got to know the Australian family of the bride, Nicole, quite well as every day there was another event arranged for us all. What a celebration!
Afterwards we picked up a giant camper van and did a bit more exploring all in the southwest. There is a series of spectacular caves just inland from the coast, formed from the dripping through the limestone ridge parallel to the coast - as good as any we have seen anywhere. We also took a trip into the ancient Karri forests near the south coast. These giants, up to 300 feet, live for hundreds of years, much like the Kauri trees in New Zealand. The difference being that the Karris and Marris are types of eucalyptus trees. They, too, suffered from overlogging in the 19th century and are now protected. Standing at the feet of these giants of the forest is quite awe inspiring. It is hard to see the tops as they sway gently. The surrounding area is full of quite 'foreign' sounding birdsong and one can see the flitting of colourful birds too. They have great birds in Australia.
Next stop: Adelaide!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Monster!Monster!
Monster!

the van, that is .....
Lake Cave entranceLake Cave entrance
Lake Cave entrance

Collapsed roof of cave
KookaburraKookaburra
Kookaburra

A regular morning visitor!


3rd May 2011

Reunion with kookaburros??
I remember one that perched on your back fence daily on Christine Place in Nowra - in the ole gum tree! So happy to get your latest news. The photographs continue to astound! I think you've found your calling, Robert. Mary, nice navy dotted jacket. Looks like it could have come from Tucson even....Love to you both, Margy

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb