Australia- Six weeks in....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
November 2nd 2009
Published: November 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, we have been in Australia nearly six weeks now, and our time here is flying by already. We landed in Perth and spent 10days sorting out bank accounts, getting our mobile phones up and running, looking at and buying our campervan and hunting for jobs. We were successful with our job hunt and on the 7th October we had left Perth behind us and we drove south to Williams (in our new camper), which is 3 hour drive from Perth.

Williams is a tiny little town with a population of only 450 people. It is a stop off for the local farming community and people travelling through alike and it consists of a post office, 3 petrol stations, a police station, a general store and a handful of houses. And it will be our home for the next three months. We are working in the BP roadhouse which is the last petrol station as you leave Williams to travel south. It has a motel and caravan park behind it which is where we currently live in our Camper at a small rent of just AU$40 a week each.

So, as well as working in the petrol station, motel and caravan park 40+ hours a week, we also try to get away in our camper and see as much of the region as we possibly can. Two weekends ago we managed to get away down to Albany on the south coast of Western Australia for a few days. Here we walked in the valley of the giants, a valley full of huge Karri trees some of which grow up to 200ft tall. We popped into Albany too and we went down to West Cape Howe National park, which was beautiful. I have never seen sand so white, and water so turquoise. The weather was great too so we had a really good break away.

Halloween weekend we also managed to get two days off in a row, and we decided to head east to Bunbury which is a few hours south of Perth. Here we did something that we have both always wanted to do, we went Whale watching. This was an awesome trip. We managed to see quite a few humpback whales which came within 50 metres of our boat. They seemed very playful, jumping out of the water, splashing their tails & rolling
Shelley BeachShelley BeachShelley Beach

Ste playing football down on the beach
in the water. To see them however, we did have to travel out of the bay and the sea was so rough (15-20 foot waves rocking the boat), it was difficult enough to just try and stay on our feet and look at the whales, let alone take photos, so sadly we have none.

Anyway, it’s back to Williams’s and back to saving some money so we can continue on our travels in the New Year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Shelley BeachShelley Beach
Shelley Beach

Our camper at Shelley Beach, West Cape Howe National Park
Shelley BeachShelley Beach
Shelley Beach

View of the winding dirt road down to the secluded beach.
Shelley BeachShelley Beach
Shelley Beach

Oh look - A sealion on the beach.
Shelley BeachShelley Beach
Shelley Beach

Our neighbour... well for a few hours. This guy spent 3 hours jumping from our wing-mirror to the window. (Oh, n he crapped all over the mirror).
Tree Top WalkTree Top Walk
Tree Top Walk

Us at the tree top walk
Tree Top WalkTree Top Walk
Tree Top Walk

No comment....
Tree Top WalkTree Top Walk
Tree Top Walk

Gemma managed to lift up one of Ste's legs..... 'The Muscles from Brussels'.
Tree Top WalkTree Top Walk
Tree Top Walk

Ste walking amoung the 'Valley of the Giants'.
Tree Top WalkTree Top Walk
Tree Top Walk

Gemma on the walkway through the 'Valley of the Giants'.
Frenchman BayFrenchman Bay
Frenchman Bay

Beach just south of Albany.
Our campervanOur campervan
Our campervan

Gemma enjoying a drink on our first night in 'Bob'.
Our campervanOur campervan
Our campervan

Rear view..... nice!!!!
South of AlbanySouth of Albany
South of Albany

Natural stone bridge


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb