Go North - 20th May


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 20th 2023
Published: May 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 20th May

Tourist day today, we called at the Tourist Board and got an $8 (Concession) day pass to the National Park.

We started at the Skyway, which is two horseshoe shaped cantilevered viewing platforms that hang in mid-air 100m above the Murchison River gorge. I was very impressed that despite his fear of heights G managed to walk out on both and take lots of photos as well. Half of the walkway is a solid floor, and the other half is a grid so it was easier for him being that he could not see straight down, good design. The gorge is made up of the most amazing layers of rock in all sorts of colours which change as the sun moves around. Playing with the zoom on my camera I got some quality shots and some fun ones too. Trees that cling to the rock and seem to grow on nothing, a silhouette of the walkway with me in the middle were just some of the fun shots.

On to the next stop which was a bit more taxing for me with a 1km round trip walk downhill to Natures Window. It was worth every gruelling step to get the views of the window; a very nice kiwi girl took a picture of us both sat in the window. The walk back up the hill was a trial, but we made it. Again, the years of erosion and sediment display amazing colours in the rock layers. I have a picture of me siting in this same window in 1991, will be interesting to compare the area as it is now against how it was over 30 years ago.

Next stop was the Z Bend lookout, but this was a 1.2km round trip and my ankle was saying no, enough done so we just took photos from the car park.

Final stop on the way back was Meanarra Hill, this is the highest point looking down on the town and the estuary. The 360-degree views of the area were spectacular and fortunately a very short stroll from the car park.

All done and what a beautiful trip for the day, exhausted and back to camp for late lunch and a rest.

My ankle is now swollen and sore, but it was worth it for the views today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb