DAY 47 YARLA KUTJARRA-THE PINES


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
July 29th 2022
Published: July 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We said our goodbyes as we departed a beautiful campsite. There is something different about experiencing a sunrise and a sunset in the outback. We have been fortunate to have enjoyed many whilst on this very memorable trip of ours and this morning was no different.

Our spirits were high as we hit the road and it was not long before we came across roadworks. We stopped at Tims Tree, a memorial for Tim Ballinger by his family as Tim lost his life at the age of 21 on this road.

Oh, how things can change ‘just-like-that’. The fuel warning light began flashing even though We still had just over half a tank. Stopped, checked the Prado manual which said that we were being warned that only 22 litres remained. Didn’t make sense so we continued to Warburton where I began to purchase fuel. I inserted the fuel nozzle and pressed for fuel to pour onto the tank. It did for about 3 seconds before a blowback of fuel from the tank soaked my right arm (shirt). What the hell! I pressed again … same result … blowback. I went in to see the proprietor who then said it was my fuel pump as they had experienced the same problem twice before with their Prado’s. Only half the tank was being used. I went back and continued pouring … 200ml at a time … still not curing the blowback. Hence a litre of so ended on the ground. I worked out how many kms to Tjukayirla and how much fuel would be needed. We made it to Tjukayirla and did the same thing. I caused a huge fuel wait jam of about 20 or more vehicles … there was only 1 bowser!!

We were able to phone Kalgoorlie Toyota to make an appointment for Wednesday … we still had a day of driving to do. Sam was in contact too and he mentioned that it could be the breather. At this stage it was enough for me to be breathing. We set off to get as close to Kalgoorlie while there was still daylight.

We camped off the road at a place called “The Pines” about 30km from Cosmo Newbery, with a further 92km to Laverton where I will ‘slow fuel’ again.

It didn’t take us long to set up camp, enjoy the sunset, eat, and hit the sack. Pitch black outside. No one about. Tired as.

Running total of burnt out or abandoned vehicles, 166.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement






Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb