29th - 31st July (Beasley River Rest Area - Tom Price)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Tom Price
July 31st 2012
Published: July 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Days on the Road = 31



Sunday 29th July 2012

Wake up after a fresh night and get ready to pull out of our rest area which has been great.

We're not far from our destination so anticipate that we will arrive around 11am to check in to the one and only caravan park in Tom Price. You can't book there so hopefully we will get a spot.

Arrive in Tom Price and find the park without any fuss. The caravan park is located at the base of Mount Nameless which is the tallest mountain (1128m) in Western Australia. Today they actually had a running race to the top of the mountain and someone completed it within 18 minutes. Might have to try and beat that record before I leave..........

Tom Price is the highest town above sea level (747 m) and is consequently dubbed "Top Town in WA".


My youngest is currently studying Feathery Friends through school so we have plenty of birdseed on-board which is great as there are so many pink galahs here. I give the girls a container of seeds to go out and feed them and all of a sudden they are surrounded, they are quite friendly as they have also landed on our shoulders and standing on our hands to be fed. Such an experience for the girls to have and the laughter that is coming out of them is very infectious.

We are actually really tired from the driving over the last few days so we've opted to stay an additional night in Tom Price to rest and do some schoolwork as once we're in Karijini National Park we will pretty much be go go go.

The Olympics are on so we enjoy flipping through our channels to watch the games, it comes around so fast.

Monday 30th July 2012

Woke after a much needed sleep ready for the day ahead, schooling. The girls were really good and ready to complete quite a lengthy day of school. I'm not in a crash hot mood today but try my hardest to keep them motivated.

Charles has booked a mine tour for tomorrow which will be good and new for the girls.

Once again the pink galahs are flocking at our door step, word must of got around the caravan park that we had feed on-board! Charles has even had a go at feeding them even though he's received a few nips and scratches, nurse Cindy out to the rescue. Oh Charles has just said "my third child" ain't that the truth haha.

The sun has now set and I'm on my third glass of red which I think was much needed.

Tuesday 31st July 2012

Woke nice and early this morning to go on the Rio Tinto Mining Tour (iron ore) which should be interesting. We all climb aboard the coach for the tour and the bus is full.

We head off slightly out of town to the mine site where the guide provided a detailed commentary about Tom Price and the mine. The pit is massive and we're amazed by the enormity of Rio Tinto's open cut iron ore mine which took us into the heart of the mine site operation.

The tour included viewing the Haul Truck workshop area, viewing working trucks, shovels and drills, the crushing and screening plants and the train load out area. All in all it was worth a view but probably abit steep on the cost side.

We then head up a 4wd track to the top of Mt Nameless, it's quite a steep ascent up the mountain but the views are definitely worth it.

We head back to our caravan for lunch then do some grocery shopping ready for our trip into Karijini National Park for three nights.

Looking forward to our next destination which will be full of amazing gorges, walks, climbs, swimming holes so we should sleep well in the park.

Will post again after Karijini. Until then stay warm in your hearts. X


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



31st July 2012

Pink Galahs
I love those birds! I know they are considered to be a pest in Australia and have almost managed to invade everywhere but for me they are so pretty! Am loving the pictures, did you take any from the top of Mount Nameless? Why is that place called Tom Price? Who was he? :) xxx
31st July 2012

Tom Price
Hello Julie The panoramic shot at the top of this blog is a shot from the top of Mount Nameless. Great view. Tom Price is named after Thomas Moore Price who was the vice-president of the U.S. based steel company Kaiser Steel who was involved with the first visibility studies and he played a key role in the establishment of the industry for iron ore in the Pilbara region.
7th August 2012

wow
i hope you have fun
9th August 2012

wow
alicia those pictures are great and i cant wait to look at more.

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb