Meet the Quokkas!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Rottnest Island
February 23rd 2016
Published: March 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Rottnest Island is much loved by' Australians, especially those living in Perth.

With great expectations Val and myself took the Rottnest Express ferry from Elizabeth Quay Perth to Rottnest Island. We had reserved 3nights accommodation for 460A$ and it was 80A$ for the return ferry.

To start we had a scenic cruise along the Swan River for one hour which was very enjoyable with a running commentary describing the various buildings, wildlife and historical points of interest along the route. After a short stop in Freemantle to pick up more passengers it was just a 30 minute sail over calm seas to the island.

It was very busy on arrival with everyone milling around trying to sort out bike hire, finding their accommodation or organised island tours.

The information centre staff were good and we were soon wandering around the island streets. No cars on Rottnest and no cats or dogs. Cycling and walking are the things to do. We had a coffee and a pastie at the local bakery and a walk before 9 holes of golf. The golf course was in good condition considering the recent lack of rain and there were lots of quokka spectators.

We also had quokka company while eating our evening meal. Our accommodation was basic but perfectly adequate and in a good location near the hotel and the Thomson Bay amenities.

Next day we hired our bikes for 3 days from Rottnest Pedal and Flipper company. We cycled through the lakes to Wadjemup Lighthouse then around the salt lakes. There were unusual salty lake scenes with the striking colours of the lakes and the vegetation. We saw some Shelducks and Stilts. We found a gem in Little Parakeet Bay. A super cove with small beach and azure sea. Then we cycled on to Geordie Bay a small but pretty development before returning to the main settlement.

In the afternoon we cycled to Henrietta Rocks then Parker Point for great sea views.

In the evening we had a tasty meal of Barramundi at Karma restaurant. Quokkas were everywhere as we walked back to our accommodation.

The next day we cycled from Thomson Bay the length of the island to the West End. This was about 11km. There were super views at Cape Vlamingh, then at the Cathedral Rocks nearby we saw many fur seals frolicking in the water. We also saw an Osprey and a cormorant. The island has a rather sad history as an Aboriginal prison. There are some old colonial buildings linked to the prison and also to the maritime services provided from the island. These are still in use as accommodation. The museum is excellent and describes the island history.

A very peaceful and enjoyable stay. No need to worry about washing our clothes when we returned to Perth because the ferry company had mistakenly left our case in shed B Freemantle!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb