Rottnest Island (Wednesday 22nd May – Saturday 25th May)


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

So this next part involves taking all the crap out of the van, figuring our how much of it we can take to Rottnest with us (eg clothes, food, surfboard, snorkels, flippers, bikes etc etc). Then with much excitement we are finally ready to pick up Tahlia and head to Rottnest Island.

So Tahlia has a

· 3.5 hour flight from Adelaide to Perth

· 30 minute drive from Perth Airport to Northport Ferry Terminal (flight was late so we missed the ferry, then)

· 30 minute ferry ride to Rottnest Island

· 10 minute bus ride from harbor to Geordie Bay Villas

And that was Tahlia’s long journey of plane, car, boat and bus ride to get to Western Australia and spend some time with her family!

We check into our small seaside villa and enjoy time spent together catching up on adventures, soaking up the gorgeous views and enjoying some sunshine at last. Good news, Tahlia brought the good weather with her!

We need to add to Tahlia’s numerous modes of transport experiences so we hire some bikes (no cars allowed on Rottnest) and are ready to explore. Some 15km later of undulating and winding tracks we have explored the majority of this unique place and have seen many little Quokka’s along the way.

The team decides to treat ourselves to dinner at the Rottnest Pub, so we all put on our helmets, climb onto our bikes and ride into town. An interesting experience eating at an indoor pub with Quokka’s at your feet scavenging for food. Then we were in for an adventurous ride home in the dark, along the narrow and windy track to our little villa.

The swell was pumping so no choice but to strap a board on the bike and chase some surf...right out to Strickland Bay. An amazing site with twenty boats anchored out to sea awaiting their surfing sailor to take them home. Unfortunately for Matt, he has to navigate the rock ledges from shore to get out there, but is rewarded with some great waves.

Rottnest Island: lots of fun; great family time; fantastic bike riding, swimming and snorkeling; a unique experience. Downfall – lots of $$$ for everything, but worth it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb