Quokka O'Clock. Why Rottnest Island is a must for every traveller to Perth


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Quokkas are small marsupials, the size of a genitically modified rat, but far cuter and are found throughout Rottnest Island. I have just come back from a 2 night stay, with my wife and 2 boys. The lads had a ball, as cars are not allowed (unless you work on the island in maintenance, operations or the police) and my wife got the chance to finally have some well earned rest with a massage.

Bikes are the best form of transport and soon remind you of those childhood days when bike locks were rarely needed.

After snorkelling with an octopus (I bumped into it at the reef that hugs the serene beach at Salmon Bay) I ventured to the hotel bar for sundowners.

Ideally, the hotel would be on the Western side of the island to get a sunset looking over the boaties at play but as I supped a pint (or two) of Little Creatures, it felt a good place to be, away from the distant lights of Perth that twinkled in the distance.

The Quokkas that invade the pub gardens are from the dark side of town and feel no fear as they tenaciously search for free beer, chips and spilt drinks amoungst the weekenders, lovers, loners, families and boaties who are there to soak up the ocean view.

As we cycled home in the dark -with the boys happily leading the way, along the quiet roads, I thought that this was how country living back in the UK may have been all those years ago as you rode back from the village pub along the winding lanes, without a care in the world.

happy travels.
amc

http://www.thecreativenomad.co

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb