14th August 2012 (Point Samson to DeGrey River Rest Area)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Port Hedland
August 14th 2012
Published: September 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Days on the Road = 45 Days (6 Weeks & 3 Days)




Well all packed up for our next destination, Eighty Mile Beach but we're stopping overnight in a rest area just to have a break then tomorrow head into Eighty Mile. We've heard mixed reports about Eighty Mile and Barne Hill but we are going to experience it for ourselves as what some people don't like we may.

The weather is still divine.....

Not much to see on the road just shrub and more shrubs but it's still good to be on the road again.

We have time to pop into Whim Creek and Port Hedland enroute just to have a quick look around. However, there was nothing much to report in the way of tourist stuff. Oh well, worth the look though.

We've been told to drop into Whim Creek which is located between Karratha and Port Hedland. It was a renowned rest stop area for travellers who could stop for the night and enjoy a cold beer in the hotel. The Whim Creek Hotel has been around since the 1800's however unfortunately had been struct a couple of times by cyclones who were very rude in crossing the region. Though closed down, the hotel is said to have been home to an alcoholic camel who used to drink the patrons beers and a large python that lived in the rafters above the bar. We only came across a white cockatoo who was rather good at talking and dancing. You can see the area is very old and just full of history and I'm sure the hotel could tell a tale or two. We come across a young man who is resting under a tree having his lunch, he is travelling around Australia on a push bike, what an inspiration and especially in this heat.

Next stop Port Hedland.....

Port Hedland is the largest town in the Pilbara area and it’s port is the main port to receive the fuel for the region. The port also exports iron ore, manganese and salt. As mentioned, not a lot to see just another mining town. The Pilbara is full of them so it's nothing new to see. We stop to have a bite of lunch at the harbour which was nice and the girls took some time out to have a play in the park before we head off again to our rest point for the night.

The DeGrey Rest area is located on the DeGrey River and is absolutely chocker block with caravanners. Some even live here for a couple of weeks as the sites (if you can get one) are located on the river's edge and shaded by trees. A lovely spot and free.....

As we drive into the rest area, off the road, we pass some roaming bulls which the girls are fascinated by and want to go and look at them. Not too sure about that one but Charles decides to take them to have a look. It turns out that they didn't really like the intrusion and one particular bull started snorting and stomping it's hoof, my youngest quickly retreated behind Charles and Charles thought he had better move. Now we say to my youngest "do you want to go and look at the bulls?" and she is very quick to shake her head. HAHA

Time for a well-deserved beer.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb