In Australia there's always time to smell the flowers...but there's politics in Cacti & Succulent Shows


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
August 19th 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

In Australia there's always time to smell the flowers. When we travel our senses are heightened by each new sight, sound, smell, touch and taste. So much we take for granted...relationships, possessions, health, safety, food and fun...and then there was the music. Recently when I visited Perth I experienced all of these things...and more. In quieter moments...sometimes its nice to just be ther... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 101, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

WARATAHWARATAH
WARATAH

Emblem of New South Wales
WARATAHWARATAH
WARATAH

New South Wales
NATIVE ORCHIDNATIVE ORCHID
NATIVE ORCHID

New South Wales
BORONIABORONIA
BORONIA

New South Wales
SLENDER RICEFLOWERSLENDER RICEFLOWER
SLENDER RICEFLOWER

Pimelia Linifolia - New South Wales
CROWEACROWEA
CROWEA

New South Wales
SILKY PURPLE FLAGSILKY PURPLE FLAG
SILKY PURPLE FLAG

New South Wales
ISOPOGON BUDISOPOGON BUD
ISOPOGON BUD

New South Wales
GEEBUNG FRUITGEEBUNG FRUIT
GEEBUNG FRUIT

New South wales
HOVEAHOVEA
HOVEA

New South Wales
TELOPEATELOPEA
TELOPEA

Tasmania
KANGAROO APPLEKANGAROO APPLE
KANGAROO APPLE

New South Wales
TEA TREETEA TREE
TEA TREE

Tasmania
HIBBERTIAHIBBERTIA
HIBBERTIA

Tasmania
PURPLE CORAL PEAPURPLE CORAL PEA
PURPLE CORAL PEA

New South Wales
PAPER DAISIESPAPER DAISIES
PAPER DAISIES

Northern Territory
DESERT SUCCULENTSDESERT SUCCULENTS
DESERT SUCCULENTS

Northern Territory



19th August 2014

Glad we got to see the evolution of "H" at the end there.
Love the flower shots. Glad to see you've mastered aperture on your camera. In light of this we might have to put a ban on those two-thousand dollar lenses.
19th August 2014

Glad we got to see the evolution of "H" at the end there.
Glad the flower pics came out well Jason. Inspired by the native flowers in Perth then running around the bush behind my place getting the others. Nice that my fancy point & shoot enjoyed the challenge. And fun to tell the story of my first obsession...or were there one's before that?
19th August 2014

Amazing plant portraits...
and an amazing story from long ago, judging by that picture of you with "H". Having seen your woodcarvings, I'm looking forward to more stories!
19th August 2014

Amazing plant portraits...
Pleased I could share some of the delights of our unique Australian flora. There are wildflower tours in Western Australia so my pics are only a taste of an extraordinary array. Woodcarving stories...now that's a challenge...how much time have you got?
19th August 2014
FLOWERING GUM

Flowering David
I adore and visit all botanic gardens, so was thrilled to see that Perth's inspired you to share your hidden talents. Congrats on melding your woodworking with plants and being rewarded for it. Great macro photos of these plants--so fun to be close. You Aussies have exported your gums all over the world, so the photos like this one from your yard made me homesick for California. Gorgeous!
19th August 2014
FLOWERING GUM

Flowering David
We share another passion Tara...the beauty Nature's flora palette throws up. That photo is a cracker blown up. As my desktop it is sensational.
19th August 2014

You are simply amazing.
Good golly do your talents ever end? Amazing portrait photographer, cunning expertise in fine rugs, an obsessed flower man, world famous traveler, blogger, music aficionado......and now freaking fine flower photographer! I'm sure you've collected more drift wood than Denise has been able to throw out. Thanks for sharing all the beauty.
19th August 2014

You are simply amazing.
I think the word is "obsessive" MJ...yet though there are inflections in that word...it is not necessarily a bad thing!
20th August 2014

Cactai?
Really? Never would have guessed, I would have taken you for a smooth-flower kinda guy! ;)
20th August 2014

CACTI
A smooth-flower kinda guy...nice image Per-Olof. Denise says my people skills have improved as the years have gone by...maybe I was more prickly back then...or maybe I had discovered the variety of cacti and succulents is like venturing into alien worlds which is definitely true. The variety is truly eye-opening.
21st August 2014

I'm sure you've collected more drift wood than Denise has been able to throw out.
Ahhh David you are a funny man. I have many memories of driftwood...Brampton Island for instance...celebrating a significant birthday...find my suitcase emptied & then filled with driftwood for the flight home -Oh then there was New Zealand...on arriving home find all 4 suitcases crammed with...yes driftwood & I can't forget the Great Ocean Road trip in Victoria... mobile home amazingly fitted out with kitchen shower toilet but one problem... couldn't use the shower/toilet room, why you ask... do I need to elaborate? So yes MJ driftwood has been an issue at times. But each of the obsessions has come with its interesting moments...like the burl that David was sawing...yes sawing off a live tree until a ranger came up to enquire!!! We were picnicking with some friends at the time & we each laid bets as to the fine he would receive but Mr smooth tongue David danced his way around & ended exchanging email addresses with the ranger as he too was a wood carver!!! You gotta be a go-with-the-flow kinda person to dance with David.
21st August 2014

I'm sure you've collected more drift wood than Denise has been able to throw out.
Dear me. I try so hard to please the family. What more has a guy gotta do??? Try harder?????
21st August 2014

DRAB AUSSIE BUSH
I have heard some describe Australian bush as drab - these photos rubbish that idea - the pics made my heart sing
21st August 2014

DRAB AUSSIE BUSH...NO WAY
The floral delights of the Aussie bush also make my heart sing...like diamonds in sand...unique gems of nature's ingenuity
24th August 2014

Well yet another talent...who knew? Love the photos, and I enjoyed reading more about Australian plants. Very beautiful!
24th August 2014

Well yet another talent...who knew?
Glad you enjoyed the Aussie flower pics Rachael. With your extensive travels in our amazing continent I'm sure you have taken time to smell the flowers. Your 100th blog is coming up...hope you are planning to make it a cracker!
19th April 2015

I forgot to comment on this one!
I love your mind..when you told me the story of your wood carving I would never have known the story of your cacti exhibiting without reading this again. Love the way our flora inspired words :) looking forward til next time :)
20th April 2015

I forgot to comment on this one!
The mind is a curious thing Cindy. Who'd have thought me storing cacti in a piece of driftwood would lead to me exhibiting...leading down the track to exhibition woodcarving. Skills I never dreamed I had that through a series of events led to paths unexpected. Isn't life grand if one dares to embrace it?

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb