Perth - Pt 3 Perth Zoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
June 17th 2013
Published: June 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Baboon BlissBaboon BlissBaboon Bliss

Junior baboon is grooming the adult producing a look of sheer delight.
Do you like visiting the zoo? I do, Marg does, but we had one grandchild that was a little uncertain, but came along anyway.

Most major cities, and indeed some smaller centres run zoos, some formal, some more like a safari park.

Perth Zoo is formalish, located in beautiful park lands with well signposted paths and maps pointing to the various types of animals/birds etc. You do need to put aside a whole day for the visit. We walked for 5 hours and still skipped big chunks of the park. Many Perth families become 'Friends of the Zoo' and can come and go as often as they wish, but for visitors that's not practical.

We were impressed by the park even before we looked at the interesting creatures in their displays. The trees and shrubs are a real credit. You will find a couple of photos of ponds within the park and see the beautiful reflections.

The variety of creatures is great also. Some animals are here as part of endangered species protection co-ordinated around the world. Perth Zoo is very proud of a recent release back into the wild of Orangutan.

Other displays are there
Sharing a confidenceSharing a confidenceSharing a confidence

A gibbon tender moment
as an education base for Australian creatures such as reptiles and spiders, particularly the species to be avoided! Some are venomous, others just deadly predators like the salt water and fresh water crocs.

Then there is a mixture birds, both tropical and water birds. Amongst the tropical birds there are breading pairs of parrots that seem to defy the traditional trend of colourful males and dull females. Also owls and tawny frog mouth birds - interesting characters in their own right.

The Nocturnal House is a must where you will find some of Australia's little fury creatures like the Sugar Glider, Spotted Quoll, native Rat etc. My photos are very red - that's because the nocturnal displays are lit red, and no flash guns are allowed to be used. The light is also quite low, so the pictures are a little grainy. Marg and I have played with photo editing software to make the images more natural - sometimes successful, sometimes not. So I have stuck with red images.

After 5 hours of walking and lots of talking and many photos taken, we drove home and you will see the result of a great day out in
LimaLimaLima

This colony of lima were very active scooting around the trees in their island resort.
the very last photo in this blog.

Would we go back again? YES.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Perfect reflectionsPerfect reflections
Perfect reflections

Water around the Lima island.
GibbonsGibbons
Gibbons

Another endangered species. We spent a long time watching the very agile juveniles playing Tag around the ropes and trees. Fast and agile!
Action ManAction Man
Action Man

This was the smaller of the two Gibbons and was the source of much entertainment. Luckily, the grandchildren didn't or couldn't compete with this little guy.
A new hatch backA new hatch back
A new hatch back

This is a newly hatched radiated tortoise. See his parents further down the blog.
Every boys dream petEvery boys dream pet
Every boys dream pet

The Motor Bike frog! Comes complete with a full range of sound effects.
Splendid Green Tree FrogSplendid Green Tree Frog
Splendid Green Tree Frog

Name suits this hansom little guy.
Got to have a penguinGot to have a penguin
Got to have a penguin

This is a very small penguin native to Australia.
Grandchildren outside Reptile enclosureGrandchildren outside Reptile enclosure
Grandchildren outside Reptile enclosure

They were very well behaved and so avoided becoming croc dinner.
Tiger SnakeTiger Snake
Tiger Snake

To be avoided
Well fed snakeWell fed snake
Well fed snake

Still to be avoided!
Colourful female parrot.Colourful female parrot.
Colourful female parrot.

Male was just plain green parrot.
Who am I?Who am I?
Who am I?

Not a duck? Its called a green pygmy goose. But it is a duck after all.
Lion LoungingLion Lounging
Lion Lounging

Time to dream of my next adventure?
Rhino restingRhino resting
Rhino resting

Please don't toot his horn! This is another endangered specie.
Meerkat mans upMeerkat mans up
Meerkat mans up

On guard meerkat. Such fun little creatures.
Radiated TortiseRadiated Tortise
Radiated Tortise

Colourful adult tortoise.


21st June 2013
Baboon Bliss

Love this photo!
Indeed, sheer delight!
22nd June 2013
Baboon Bliss

Baboon Bliss
Animals and children! A lot of luck and patience. Marg and I both were busy shooting and it is surprising how a moment like that is gone in seconds. She was disappointed with her baboon pics, but had others with the lima that made mine look poor.
21st June 2013

The Zoo etc
All good photos Rob interesting comment too Northward bound soon and new adventures ahead

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb