Day 106 - Downunder to Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
August 27th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Day 106 - 113
Swan Valley

So today we were leaving Asia heading for Aussie, one of our final stops before NZ. We took one of these cheap Air Asia flights from KL - Perth and decided to fork out an extra £5 each and we got ourselves upgraded to seats with decent legroom (exit seats) and this is WELL worth the extra cash!!!! The flight itself was surprisingly good and comfortable for the 7 hour haul.

Arrived in Perth (no time difference to KL) about 2pm and after the lengthy exit procedure where all our stuff got checked and double-checked by customs we were in Aus and picked up by our friends which were fantastic. (Thanks guys!!!)

For the next week we stayed in the Swan Valley taking in some of the sights around Perth.

- Perth Hills where we had a BBQ in the bush and had a bit of a hike. Great views.
- Wineries in the Swan Valley (we visited these on a daily basis!)
- Kings Park and garden (awesome views of Perth and harbour)
- Freemantle for Little Creatures Brewery and Old town.
- Whiteman Park is free and we spotted Kangaroo's!
- Cottlesloe & Trig Beach, beautiful beach out of the city, the later is excellent for surfing.
- Mundaring Weir, massive dam that supplies a lot of WA water and also pipes it all the way to Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie some 500kms away (in the middle of nowhere I believe?)

Also had some awesome weather during the week. Mostly it was around 21-24 degrees and for winter seems pretty good to me and Perth people seem to have a pretty relaxed lifestyle. Also you can pretty much spot Kangaroo's anywhere as we did most days just driving around. Mostly they seem to be about at dawn and dusk and you just see them on the side of the road. Pretty cool for tourists that you can see them without the need to go to Zoo's etc. We also saw Galahs’ (the birds) as you can see from one of our pics.

The other major sight is Margaret River which is some 350km south which unfortunately we did not get to.
From what we read and heard it has a stunning landscape with some stunning beaches, majestic forests, spectacular caves and of course world class wineries. Real shame
Common in the bush..Common in the bush..Common in the bush..

Unusual looking plants in the bush. I can not recall the name, if anyone knows can you let me know?!
we could not go there, but definitely will be going there on our next visit to Perth.

Now we are off to Sydney which you can follow in my final blog which I will post shortly. Last stop before hitting NZ and looking forward to finally putting down our bags for the last time, now 4 months on the road 😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Cottlesloe beachCottlesloe beach
Cottlesloe beach

Great beach, very relaxed.
Mundaring DamMundaring Dam
Mundaring Dam

Crossing the bridge..
Sunsetting from the HillsSunsetting from the Hills
Sunsetting from the Hills

Can just see Perth skyscrapers in the distance.
Bells RapidsBells Rapids
Bells Rapids

No rapids today, no rain for a while!!! Picturesque.


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb