A Tale of Two Cities


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
June 8th 2008
Published: June 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

MelbourneMelbourneMelbourne

Flinders St Station
Leaving the tropical (but wet) Whitsundays behind us we flew 2,445 km south to Melbourne where we caught up with our buddy Michelle! She let us stay in her flat for a week which was a welcome relief from the tent and hostels. After dropping our bags at the flat we went straight out for some drinks and a catch up. Having not eaten much, after a few beers we were well away and I awoke in the morning to find my phone was well away as well. 8 months and I haven't lost it then 1 night out with Michelle and its gone - doh! Ah well, nevermind. Not being woken by the sound of crows or any other birds was a delight and with an actual matress beneath us we managed to sleep in till about 10 - marvellous! We looked around Williamstown (where we were staying) which is just across the bay from the city centre - it was just like a little seaside suburb at home with some nice shops and restaurants along the sea front. In the evening we had the flat to ourselves so made use of the couch and dvd player.

Saturday morning we headed into the City to checkout Brunswick St which according to the Lonely Planet is the 'edgy' part of town but we think edgy translates into 'area most likely to be mugged'. Once you get past that its actually not too bad. That evening we headed over to Michelles mums for an Aussie BBQ and a night in the Spa! With plenty of beers and wine flowing and Oasis playing it was a rock'n'roll evening with a true rock'n'roll hangover the following day! To get rid of the hangover Pauline decided it was time to hit the markets on Sunday and we started with the arts and craft market near the south bank. After this we headed up to the Queen Victoria market which is absolutely massive - even Paulines market navigational skills couldn't cope with this beast! After making it round the clothes stalls we got some lunch and then looked around the fresh food stalls and bought some fish for dinner. Another quiet night on the sofa was much appreciated.

Monday was spent in the immigration museum which was good and in the evening Michelle gave us a ridiculously good discount at her restaurant so we made full use of it and stuffed ourselves silly. On Tuesday we made our way over to Ballarat to visit my nan's cousin, Kathy and Herman and they gave us some real life immigration stories of how they came over on the boats about 55 years ago! They were very nice and didn't stop feeding us from the moment we walked through the door - always appreciated! On our last full day in Melbourne we went out with Michelle to St Kilda had a look at the pier grabbed some lunch and then went to see the new Indiana Jones movie in a really old cinema with massive armchair like seats. Obviously a few more drinks followed afterwards and the pizza delivery man was called into service our needs.

Following a 4 hour internal flight!!! we arrived in Perth to blue skies and warm weather. Everyone seemed to be confused as to why we were visiting at the start of winter but it certainly didn't feel that way! These people obviously don't know a real winter! Perth is not the biggest city around so after a morning of walking we went over to Kings Park and had some lunch
At Luna ParkAt Luna ParkAt Luna Park

This is the theme park that is used on Neighbours - Harold Bishop was nowhere to be seen.
lazing in the sun. The next day we caught the train out to Freemantle which is on the coast and Pauline treated herself to a new haircut (exciting times!). 'Freo' is really nice with many small shops and galleries to wander around and a really nice harbour. We looked for the 'welcome wall' which has the names of all the immigrants to Australia on it, searching for my relatives. After we had viewed about 100 panels we found out he was to be added in stage 3, which is not currently built!

Today we have been sorting out all our bits and pieces for our west coast adventure which starts tomorrow with a new hire car - yet to be named!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



14th June 2008

can i come with you two now im verey bored of the u.k's unpredictable weather !

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb