Kalbarri to Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Swan Valley
September 15th 2015
Published: September 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Monday 7th September

After filling up with more diesel, should have bought shares in BP, we drive just out of town and stop at Rainbow Jungle. A breeding centre for parrots from all over the world. It didn't sound that interesting to me, but when we go in it is really well set out. There are parrots from all over the world in good size averies. Many are wonderful colours and all in very good condition. It's really nice to see such lovely looking birds close up.

After an hour we set off for the day. We're driving along the coast and pull in at one of the many lay bys and look at the rugged cliffs and crashing waves.

The scenery has changed now and is rolling hills and some crop fields. Alongside the road are more wild flowers. We've hit the right time of year to see them.

Eventually we drive alongside the Hutt Lagoon which is supposed to be pink. No matter how much we want it to be pink it looks blue. Christine tells me I'm too colour blind to know it's not pink and says it's sky blue pink. I think she's having me on!

Shortly after we arrive in Northampton. We walk around the township looking at their heritage buildings and calling in at a shop that has sewing machines from 1900. We also stop off at their railway station which closed decades ago. We see a few carriages and one train. The township is really small and there's not much to see.

Next on route is our stop for the next two days in Geralton. First port of call is Target, a sort of department store and we buy a blanket as it's getting really cold at night. We then stock up the fridge at Coles supermarket and then drive to the Visitors Centre. We get some info on tours of some of their heritage buildings for tomorrow.

We then have a walk along their new shoreline development and see some Aboriginal art work on emu eggs. Going back to the van we see some of the Art Deco buildings being used as shops. Most look fairly shabby.

In the evening we drive out and get take away fish and chips. Our first since being in Australia. They taste as good as the ones we've had in Whitby!

Tuesday 7th September

A day in Geralton and our first visit is to the Catherdral. It was designed by the Rev John Hawes and is more like a Tuscan villa than a church. Inside is even more unusual with zebra type painted arches. It has a pleasing look though.

We then go on to the HMAS Sydney memorial. A metal memorial sculpture to the 645 sailors who died on the ship that sunk whilst sinking a German ship in WW1. The memorial is on a hill overlooking Geralton and the names of all the sailors are etched on stone surrounding the sculpture. Like all memorials here it's well done.

Our next stop is the WA Museum. The museum tells how the Mid West area developed from being discovered through mining, farming and agriculture. The exhibits are well set out with just the right amount of info without over loading you with facts.

There's also a section on the discovery of The Batvia, a sunken Dutch ship from the 1800's with lots of artifacts. Finally there's a new section on the discovery of HMAS Sydney which was finally found in 2008. The museum was worth a visit.

We then walk round to the Geralton Regional Art Gallery. It's quite small and has only a small number of paintings of which some appeal and other don't. On the first floor is a display of work by local students and many are really very good.

Afterwards Christine at last gets the chance to go shopping. There are two shopping centres in the city. Both are only the size of the Meadows in Camberley and that includes the two big supermarkets in them! Christine comes away somewhat disappointed.

We then drop in at the cinema but find that the only film we want to see is shown at 11am or 6pm Neither time much good to us.

After lunch we take a tour of the Victoria Hospital built in 1887 and the jail next door built by the convicts in the 1800's. The guide explains how the hospital was also used as a jail and the history of the jail itself. It's all very interesting and takes about an hour.

That's it for Geralton so we head off for a short drive along the coast before heading back to the campsite. I turn to go over a railway crossing and get caught at the barrier for 15 mins whilst a train goes through from the Port. They are long trains!

Wednesday 9th September

A slow start to the day as we're not going far. An hour down the road we stop at Tenindewa. A place where stock used to be collected together to “empty” themselves before being loaded onto trains. There's nothing left now except metal sculptures and sign boards.

Half hour later we arrive at Mullewa. A place without even one horse! Most of the shops are shut or have closed down. We go on the heritage trail and it's surprisingly interesting. It's all about the Rev John Hawes who was also an architect and designed many local churches around WA and in the Bahamas. His churches are slightly quirky and the one in Mullewa looks like a building from Tuscany.

We then go for a walk along a wild flower trail. It's all a bit disappointing as the flowers aren't as good as we've seen along the roadside. It's getting hot and the flies are terrible. The trail goes on a bit too long and we're very pleased to reach the van for shade and peace from the flies!

Off we go for another hour and reach Morawa. This place is even smaller than the last! We drive through it before we realise and have to turn around.

We find the town museum and call in. We are met by the “curator” John. He takes our money and then marches us around showing us this and that. There's a collection of water pump windmills and he tells us proudly that they are the 6th largest collection in the world. He seems to think we should know all about them. He tells us that they issue a Windmill magazine every 3 months. That must be REALLY interesting!

We then get taken to three other sheds where there are collections of various things. It's really a load of old junk just put on show. Still the town is very proud of it.

We spend the rest of the afternoon on site, reading and swatting the flies.

Thursday 10th September

A fairly short drive this morning to the township of Mingenew. It's a major grain centre and we see the Giant Wheat Stalk sculpture in the park. We then drive out to Mingenew Hill and Drovers Rest. A hill just outside of town with views over the countryside. We can see for miles as it's so flat.

We then drive onto Three Springs and out to the Talc Mine. It's the largest talc mine in the southern hemisphere but when we get there it's just a fairly small open cast mine with nothing going on.

As we drive off the weather clouds over and around lunchtime it starts to rain and the temperature drops for 27 to 16 with half an hour.

We stop at Eneabba for fuel and lunch.

Then we drive to Leeman and park up for the day. It's still chilly and blowing a gale. We're back on the coast and have a drive out to the boat ramp and walk along the small boat jetty before climbing up a small lookout point. As we walk back to the van we see a sea eagle with a mouse of similar in its mouth and it lands on the top of a telegraph pole and eats it. The coastline's quiet attractive.

The last couple of days have been very disappointing. The tourist info promises a lot but when we arrive in the townships the interesting places are either greatly overstated, no longer exist or are closed.

Friday 11th September

As we head south our first pull off is into Green Head. It's just a small holiday bay with a nice shore line.

Our next stop is in Jurian Bay. A slightly larger holiday resort where we have a short walk along the shore and then go in search of the marina. Some how we can't find it and so continue our journey.

We eventually reach Cervantes and book into a site on the beach. We then call in at the Lobster Shack to find out when they do their factory tour. We decide to come back tomorrow.

Back to the van and off we go to Nambung NP to see the Pinnacles Desert. It's a strange place full of limestone pinnacles standing in pure sand. Some are 5m high and 2m around the base. There's a good one way driving track around them with plenty of pull ins. We get a great view of them and the desert.

Afterwards we head off for Kangaroo Point. An area where there are supposed to be lots of the animal but of course there isn't!

Next stop is Lake Thetis to see more Stromatolites. There are lots of them and they're just as exciting to see as the last ones! We are then invaded by a coach load of Japanese tourists so we head off back to the van.

On the way back we pull into the Cervantes Country Club and see about having dinner there later.

Finally we have a walk along the shore and into town for an ice cream. It's been a nice sunny day with a gale force wind.

For dinner at the Country Club we choose the seafood platter to share of whole lobster, two snapper, 8 king prawns, salt and pepper squid, chips and salad. It was wonderful !

Saturday 12th September

We get woken twice during the night as torrential rain bounces on the roof only two feet above us. The wind blows and rocks the van. We awake to grey skies and more rain.

It's the greyist and coldest day since we've been in Australia.

Eventually we drive round to the Lobster Shack for the tour but it doesn't start until 12.30. We decide we don't want to wait two and a half hours in the cold for it and drive off.

The journey inland is more attractive than most we've had although we still don't see very much traffic. Around 12 we arrive in Moora and after checking out our camp spot we drive up the road to Weston Wild Flower Farm.

We are greeted by the female owner who shows us around her shop and store. She has thousands of dried flowers and tells us that she exports them all over Europe. It's very home spun and quaint but obviously very successful. She also does very nice scones and cream!

We drive back to town and park up on site. Then it's into the small town for a wander around. First we see a few murals depicting the way of life here in bygone days and then some sculptures and small gardens. We have to hurry round as it's still cold and windy.

It's time then for a good walk and we set off on the Carnaby Cockatoo Trail. First we get to walk a long a fairly ordinary road leading out of town before turning alongside the river. We don't see any

cockatoos and the work is pretty bland to say the least. Then just as we're finishing the trail we see two high up in the trees. Not the most exciting walk we've had.

Back on site and we close up all the windows as it turns colder and we get more rain. This is the worst weather we've had since arriving.

A special mention for our campsite. It's run by the council and we get a pretty grassed site all neatly cut with flower beds boarders, hot showers, free gas BBQ, electricity hook up and free washing machines and tumble driers, all for 10 pounds!

Sunday 13th September

A really cold night despite the extra blanket, towels, jumpers and fleeces on the bed. The van is unsuitable for cold weather. We reluctantly get out of the warm bed for breakfast.

A short drive this morning to New Norcia. A little settlement formed by a group of Benedictine monks in 1846. We take a two hour tour of the buildings and learn that it was set up to educate local Aboriginal children within a self sufficient community.

We get to see the various churches, schools and the outside of the monastery. Most of it is now well passed its best and the schools closed down years ago. There are only 11 monks now there.

Nevertheless it's very interesting and the buildings are still very grand in places. We just wish it was a bit warmer!

Back on the road for another 45 mins and we arrive at Toodyay. A charming historic town on the banks of the Avon River with many heritage buildings. After booking in at a local campsite we drive back into town and walk their Heritage Trail.

We see lots of buildings dating from 1860. Many of them were pubs! They are all in good condition and it's a nice walk round.

Back on site the temperature drops and we get prepared for another cold night!

Monday 14th September

Another freezing night and I get cramp in my toes it's so cold! Sleep is difficult enough without the sound of the “Clanger” bird all night long! Well it sounded like one of the Clangers.

This morning we go back into Toodyay and visit the mill. We learn all about Dan Connor who was a convict from Ireland and arrived in 1853 and took over the mill in 1870. From there he didn't look back and eventually owned most of Toodyay. It's an interesting story and the mill has all its working machinery.

We then walk round to the town jail museum. It's open and has no one there to monitor visitors. We have a good walk round the buildings and cells and see many artifacts on display. It's incredible that there's no one there to keep an eye on things.

The police stables are just over the road so we have a look at those too before walking back to the high street and getting a local pie. The first ones we've tried since arriving. They are really good.

We're exhausted the place and so set off for Midland. It takes about an hour and we find a modern shopping centre to stock up with food and also to buy a fan heater!

Midland is a very modern busy town with nothing of interest and so we set off along the Swan Valley. This promises vinyards and local produces shops to visit.

Our first stop is at Great Northern. It's a rum distillery and we sample a strawberry daiquiri and chocolate covered pretzels. They're wonderful but I can only have one drink as I'm driving. Unfortunately the chocolate factory next door is closed.

We then pull in at another chocolate factory and nut factory. Unfortunately the chocolate one's closed again!

Our last stop is Oggies ice cream cafe but when we get there it's more of a cafe than ice cream factory so we give it a miss.

It's now late afternoon so we pull in to a caravan park. It's a bit scruffy but ok. It's directly under the flight path to Perth airport, so we feel right at home!

Tuesday 15th September

A very short drive down the road before we stop at the Margaret River Chocolate factory and have a look around. It's a bit early for a cup of chocolate so we decide to come back later.

We drive just a few minutes more and stop in the Whiteman Park. A small wildlife centre with extra attractions.

We go into the wildlife park first and soon join a small crowd for the farm show. We see sheep rounded up by dogs and penned. The sheep seem to know where to go without the dogs! I think they've done it before.

We then get a shearing exhibition and told about the fleeces. It's an interesting piece. Then it's onto feeding lambs which is a bit boring before ending up milking a cow as we leave.

We then go and have a look at the animals, most of which we've seen before but they're all well looked after. It's now time to see stroking the birds, snakes and animals before posing with a wombat. He's a BIG boy!

Next we go and see the koala bears and they're quite cute. Finally we walk among kangaroos who seem totally bored by the whole thing and just lay around waiting to be fed and stroked.

It's a great place for kids.

We then head off for some of the other attractions but not all are open. It seems a very half hearted place for a major tourist attraction.

We go to the Transport Museum and see various forms of Australian transport through the ages. This is more interesting as we see camel carts, early trucks and trains. There's also good displays of of very early sheep shearing teams who moved around from farm to farm. It was really hard getting around in the early days as we see men pushing trucks through mud and rivers.

Our next visit is to the Motor Museum. This has some wonderful old cars and great displays. It's full of interesting exhibits and the people are really nice at explaining things.

We finish the park around lunchtime. We could have stayed longer if more had been open.

Back down the road we stop off at Providore, a chocolate liqueur manufacturer. We sample their liqueurs and they are to die for! Unfortunately we can't buy any to bring home because of the liquids through security problems at the airport. A real shame.

We then pop across the car park to the chocolate company again and order two cups of chocolate. They're a bit mean with the chocolate and we add extra chocolate from the free samples to liven them up.They give away free chocolate buttons and it's difficult to leave the bowl!

The day's over and so we pull into a caravan park next to vineyard and get a nice site backing onto the rows of vines. We also get our own en suite bathroom.

Wednesday 16th September

Only a short drive first thing and we stop in Guildford in the Swan Valley. We call into Tourist Info and pick up a map of heritage walks.

Our first walk is the town trail and we soon see the original Post Office, Town Hall and many more. The walk takes us nearly an hour and is very pleasant. We go past many coffee shops and second hand shops and soon realise that these are the only shops in town.

We next take the Captain Stirling walk and learn that he founded the colony and named the town after Guildford in Surrey from where his relatives came. We see the Grammer School and a very grand church in the ground of it. Unfortunately we can't go in.

The walk takes nearly another hour and we soon realise that Guildford is a really nice leafy town, just like the one in Surrey.

Back at Tourist Info we decide to take a tour of the jail. The guide is a lady well into her 70's and rambles a bit and then forgets what she was going to say. She's lovely but the tour does go on a bit! Nevertheless we learn quite a lot about the jail and surrounding buildings.

We decide to drive into Perth afterwards and visit Kings Park. We saw it on our last trip here and think it's worth another visit.

The spring wild flowers are now out and the Park is as immaculate as last time. We wander around for nearly two hours looking at them. It helps that the sun is shining and it's nice and warm. The place is packed, the most people in one place we've seen since arriving.

When we get back to site it's time to clean the van out and pack up our things as tomorrow we hand it back and collect our Hi Top van for the next two weeks. It's been good to have the off roader as it's allowed us to go anywhere but now we're on proper roads it's not necessary. Also the other one will be warmer and we can cook inside!

Advertisement



16th September 2015

Windmills
Fancy you two not knowing that Morawa had the 6th largest collection of windmills in the world. Everyone here knows that, you should be ashamed of yourselves. I get Windmill Magazine for me every 3 months, along with Grouter's Weekly for Carol now that they've stopped Tractor Monthly.
17th September 2015

I knew it!
I just knew you'd be interested it that feature item! It's just like the Triangle. Swapping vans today for the last 2 weeks travels.Steve

Tot: 0.524s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 18; qc: 69; dbt: 0.104s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb