Arrived in Aus


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Subiaco
December 9th 2010
Published: December 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Planes, trains, and other public transport!

Well, a 20-hour flight later we have arrived in Perth - minus two suitcases which no amount of begging would convince MH to let on the plane without paying the additional R9,000! One hour at the check-in, me on my hands and knees packing and repacking suitcases (and shooting daggers at poor Oliver who was standing far to one side with two smaller suitcases each weighing +/- 15kgs we were also trying to get on board, along with normal hand luggage) I really felt a bit like poor trailer trash!! Fortunately Paul had a wonderful brainwave and called our friends the Morcombes who are flying business class to Perth in a few weeks, and who agreed to take the additional 30kg of luggage - not sure what they ended up with (though I am missing my shoes which I hope are in one of the suitcases!) - but thank you Mark and Fiona!!!

The flight was long, but rather uneventful - thankfully. And it was so wonderful arriving in Perth and seeing my mother, my sister Nicole, Brooklyn and Hayden - AND, immigration was smooth AND our remaining pieces of luggage went through customs and the sniffer dogs unmolested! Paul says it also helps a lot that in his current passport he is not a female!

We have now been in Perth for four days, and it has been quite relaxing. The weather temperature has kindly dropped to a cool 22C which has given us a chance to rest and recuperate. Our car however has been in service since Monday (apparently they are attempting to fix the air conditioner, but in a manner that has never before been done in Western Australia - not quite sure what that means, and what that bodes for our future services on the road, but I have decided to ‘just not go there’ at the moment!) It has however given us the opportunity to open up a whole new world to the kids - that of public transport. We have been on trains, busses, ferries - all such adventures for the boys! Today Nicole lent us her car while she was at work and the boys went to the beach which they enjoyed.

As to our caravan - I think Paul and I are both in some serious denial here, and have been putting off the inevitable confrontation with reality! But we can stall our future for only so long, and so will visit our new home on Saturday - will keep you posted!

In the meantime, will sign off and take the boys for a walk to the park!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



9th December 2010

oi oi oi
Hey-hey I have been posting comments but apparently unsuccessfully, so will limit this to less than 4 pages. Please hurry to the caravan et al so I can commence with my vicarious adventures. Welcome to Aus, but a few tips: - don't mention the c word - DONT mention the c word - and, dont mention the soccer (world cup selection) either. otherwise you'll be fine. Look forward to the next chapter! cheers, Mark
9th December 2010

Welcome
Wow - what an adventure you guys are starting out on - a warm welcome to Australia and Gi'day All the best !
9th December 2010

Comments
Hi Mark We're still working out this blogging thing - only found out today we need to accept all comments. Cricket cricket cricket. There, said it - I suppose the Aussies now have an inkling of what it has been like for the English these past thirty years!
9th December 2010

BLOG!
Hi Alexa, Thank you for this wonderful BLOG! I did not have a clue what to expect, but this is going to be like a journey with all five of you and GRANNY!! Lots of love to everyone. We will pop in and visit Charlie Brown tomorrow, he seemed fine when we saw him on Tuesday, I think Kim was a worried because he was not eating.
9th December 2010

So pleased that all went smoothly. Can't believe that it has finally happened. Just remember when searching for your new "home" to find the one with that tiny cupboard, just for you, that you so dearly miss..... We missed you at the prizegiving. Tell Oliver that he got an academic prize(for literacy, numeracy and life skills) as well as receiving a technology prize(must've been that old lamp shade, that did the trick!)and Carrie made us alll clap. She also mentioned you and the role you played in helping with the reading program! As you have somewhat cooler weather, it is extremely hot here...we are definitely lacking the rain our grass so desperately requires. Well tomorrow is supposed to be our last working day-although things are going crazy at the moment and then we too are off on our holiday adventure-not quite as ambitious as yours, but a break nonetheless. We'll "chat" soon and look forward to following the posts. Regards to Paul and all your boys xx
9th December 2010

glad you're finally there!
Hey there! Such great pics and loved reading about the start of your Grand Australian Adventure! Hope you all continue to have such a blast and looking forward to following your travels on this blog! Best wishes Renate
10th December 2010

Hi all!!! As Jeanette I really love this B L O G - the possibility of staying in touch with you!!! My last entry did not enter either but perhaps this one does. Schön, dass Ihr die Anreise hinter Euch und sogar schon etwas Erholung aufgesammelt habt für den Start! When will that be, after Christmas I suppose!? Grüßt Australien von mir und die Ranson family and enjoy the Australian summer - in Hamburg is is freezing (already snow since to weeks...). Love, Katrin *** PS/Wie sicher viele beneide ich Euch echt für das, was vor Euch liegt! Noch mehr freue ich mich allerdings für Euch!!!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb