Autumn Sun


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Scarborough
April 29th 2009
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

DAY 174


It was a gorgeous day in Perth, Western Australia today, and we are enjoying a brief respite from camping. Cliff and Sue Graham have invited us into their home and we are enjoying the peace, and comforts that they have given us and truly grateful.

All I can say is thank god for PedEgg, those bloody flip flops (Thongs) play absolute havoc on your feet and it takes absolutely ages rubbing the skin flat and getting all the rough skin off, still it is great sitting in a lovely shower while I tend to my feet.

Disappointingly Cliff has been flown back onto his rig for his 2 weeks on, so Sue is here for this week before she returns back to work on Monday.

Caroline and myself intended to go in to Perth City centre, so after breakfast we walked to the bus stop and caught the 400 into town. It was about 40 minute ride in and we could take the sights in around us as the bus slowly meandered toward the city. The sunshine was just fantastic, the bus stopped at the terminus where we got off and wandered into the
The Bell TowerThe Bell TowerThe Bell Tower

The Belltower, one of Perth best Attractions
centre.

I hate cities, I think they are all the same, but as we are looking at a place to possibly live, or at least work for a while, Perth is possibly the place where we will both find some gainful employment and the word on the street here is that when the recession truly hits Australia then Perth is the place to be.

Being a big fan of gut feelings, I had a good feeling about Perth, what can only be described as euphoric, which I sadly didn’t get, about Canberra and Melbourne, but who knows? If we were lucky enough to be offered positions in either of these places then we would of course seriously consider taking them.

Perth seems a very vibrant city with lots of construction going on, its modern, busy and clean, but not with the chaos of London or any other of our British Cities.

The draw here for me, is the easy well laid out format and the weather, understandably people think that we are having great fun saying oh how wonderful the weather is today compared with the UK or the the rest of the world come to that, depending where you are reading the blog form, but we can only comment as we find.

The days are warm and the nights are getting colder, this is day 174 and I am glad to say am still in shorts and t-shirt.

I still have 2/3 of my clothes in my suitcase, unworn, long trousers (yuk) and a couple of business shirts, I even put a tie in just in case. Will the next man get up a punch me in the face, to wake me up, I think I need to go and burn all these cloths as they are just adding extra space to our already busy camper trailer, perhaps I can burn them as a ritual on our next camp fire.

Anyway, we walked around the city for a while as we had a couple of things to do, we dropped in to Tourist Information, and found out more info on the TransPerth Cat service, which are three free bus routes that you can just hop on and off as you wish.

You should have seen the pictures of the Swan Bell tower, a few blogs ago, which we went past in the car, so decided to get on the “Blue Route” bus to take us to Barrack Square so we could give it the time, and photo’s it deserved.

Off the bus at stop 19 “Barrack Square” we looked around the Wheel, which is just like the ones that we have already come across, it is a small version of the London Eye or the Singapore Flyer, just like the one in Brisbane, we did not go on it as we have done some others. We venture into the Bell Tower, which strangely enough it has a huge movement of a clock inside the Bell tower Foyer, we find this has recently come over from the grandstand at Royal Ascot as it has been recently refurbished and it was decided to donate to the Bell Tower, the clock was made by Joyce of Whitchurch in 1896.

Today we are lucky enough to be here at the right time to listen to the bells, they generally ring on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays between 12.00 and 1.00. On a Wednesday and a Friday between 11.30am-12.30pm they do interactive demonstrations so any of you budding campanologists can have a go
ViewViewView

A different view of the Bell Tower
at ringing the bells.

So we listen to the bells of St Martin’s which have rung out for over 600 years marking historic occasions, we may have mentioned before that these are the original bells of St Martin-in-the-Fields in Trafalgar Square.

We grab a coffee and jump back on the transit bus, and go around the remainder of the “Blue Route” looking at the city, eventually getting back to the bus terminus, and catching the 400 back to Scarborough.

Scarborough is a coastal resort, with a population of 12381 to be exact (taken from 2001 census), it’s a very nice area and quite tranquil, with some fantastic properties, this is where our friends Sue and Cliff live.

We get back to the house, and let ourselves in we have just come up the hill past a huge car wash and looking at the Patrol on the drive it is covered in red dust, and just looks a state. No sooner we are in as we turn on our heels, jump in the Patrol and shoot down to the car wash, to give it its bi monthly bath. It’s not out of vanity, but practicality as the red dust gets everywhere which of course as we head North it well get worse and it will get into places that you would never imagine. So the cleaner it is now the better chance we stand at keeping it in reasonable condition.

Back again, we settle down with a cup of tea, I read my book kindly sent to us by Reen who lives in Bundaberg and reads the blog, it’s a fantastic book of funny animal stories, called Wombats Revenge written by a guy called Kenneth Cook, whilst I’m relaxing reading Caroline is going over the blog replacing missing photo’s, we still have quite a few to do, it is a bit of a tedious job, so do bear with us.

Sue rustles us up a fantastic evening meal, we all sit around the table enjoying dinner, then pull a film up and it’s a recommendation from Sue called “Death at a Funeral”, it is a British movie so we drank wine and laughed, such a funny film and worth a watch.

It is bedtime, we are tired from such a busy day, once my head hits the pillow I am out for the count.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Turrett lockTurrett lock
Turrett lock

Joyce of Whitechurch Turrret Clock
CeilingCeiling
Ceiling

The ceiling in the reception of the Bell Tower
CampanologyCampanology
Campanology

You can view the campanologists do there thing from the TV screen placed in the foyer.
Time CapsuleTime Capsule
Time Capsule

this is due to be opened on 1st January 2100 it contains messges for the future from residents all over WA.
Bell TowerBell Tower
Bell Tower

Just another view


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb