Home Sweet Home


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Scarborough
April 29th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BlackboysBlackboysBlackboys

After fire, they start to shoot, the Aboriginals systematically burn them so they can regenerate

DAY 173


It was 7.00 and we were both awake, it is strange that we always wake up at roughly the same time each morning, whether we stay in bed a little longer or not is another matter, but today we are both up, and while Andy goes straight downstairs to make the tea I get myself ready for the day ahead.

What a lovely nights sleep we had and it was such a warm night as well, I think we have become accustomed to sleeping snug in our sleeping bags and blankets in the cold night air that surrounds our trailer tent, now we are experiencing 4 walls again it feels a tad too warm, but hey I am not complaining!

Downstairs I find Cliff, Sue and Andy outside on the veranda drinking a morning brew, so I join them.

Today we are venturing up to Seabird which is about 100kms up the coast from Perth, Cliff and Sue have a cabin there and they need to take some bits and pieces back up there that they took on their 10 week trip across Australia.

It is another warm day, the sun is out and we are on the road by 9.00, heading to another part of Australia that we have not yet seen. The roads are busy with people going about their daily business but the traffic is moving, we are in Cliffs Ute which he calls his old Bunger the back of the ute is loaded with stuff for Seabird.

We see remnants of an old bushfire or two which has altered this vast landscape, there are trees called “Blackboys” that are burnt but have new green growth sprouting out of the tops, they thrive in this bushfire environment and in fact it does them some good when they burn and re grow. Further up there is an old pine plantation that burnt and has been cleared, further back you can still see black and very dead pine trees.

We arrive at Seabird, it is a very small and very quiet place, I think must be a population of 300 if that. The caravan park where the cabin is situated is completely private; it is in an ideal situation right on the edge of the beach. At this time of year the park is almost completely deserted though I suspect it was busy at Easter that has only just passed and of course in the height of the summer.

We have a look around, the tide is right in, Cliff explains that during the winter the sand gets washed out leaving a deep shelf on the beach, exposing the rocks and bringing in the seaweed yet as summer approaches the sand is washed back onto the shore again leaving a perfectly formed beach. There are snakes around here too, Cliff tells us that he has seen a couple of different types including that of a Python.

Back in the car, heading South toward Perth again, Cliff drives us into a couple of places on the coast including Moore River, what a superb view, we can see a shelf of sand that separates the river from the sea, apparently this shelf of sand breaks down in the winter and the river runs into the sea, towards the summer the shelf reappears.

We have a cup of coffee in the little café on the front and then we head off again, this time Cliff takes us down the coast road, we see brand new communities that have been built, some of the houses are fabulous and of course very modern. As new as they are they are now thriving and bustling communities, with shopping centres and the like. Apparently there are lots of “Poms and Scots” living in these areas.

We drive past what can only be described as “Millionaires Row”, the houses some modern some also date back to 70’s are huge, with infinity swimming pools. This road takes us into Hilary’s Harbour, this is a place that if you want to be seen then be here! There are some lovely restaurants here too.

We are soon back in Scarborough, we have lunch and then go to Woolworths for groceries then back to the house again for the rest of the afternoon, we just potter around doing bits and pieces.

Andy cooks a pasta bake for tea, followed by a delicious bread pudding made with croissants, he learnt how to make this in cookery classes a while ago. When I was working away he decided that he needed to learn how to cook, the alternative was to starve or eat takeaway every night. I can compliment Andy on his cooking skills, he has done
Sue & CliffSue & CliffSue & Cliff

These nice people are our friends Sue and Cliff Graham, people we met on our trip.
most of it on this trip and I am never short of a decent meal.

It is an easy evening, Cliff is due back to work on the rigs tomorrow, so no alcohol for him, just an early night so that he can get up early, (3.30) and catch is 5.15 flight in the morning, unfortunately for Sue, that gives her an early start to as she has to take him to the airport.

We catch an episode of “House” on TV, but we cannot keep our eyes open so before 10.00 the house is suddenly plunged into darkness and silence.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

BoatsBoats
Boats

These boats are in winter storage at Seabird
GildertonGilderton
Gilderton

More on the lake
The sand barThe sand bar
The sand bar

The sand bar eventually gets washed away, and the lake runs in to the sea.
Coffee shopCoffee shop
Coffee shop

Coffee shop at Gilderton
The windThe wind
The wind

This is what a strong wind does


1st May 2009

Going soft
Hey KJ hope you're not getting too used to the good life there - we still doing it tough out here ha ha! Kalbarri is gorgeous - Caroline we saw wild goats in the Nat. Park and today as we drove out a herd of about 20 ran across the road in front of us. Nearing monkey Mia an emu tried to get himself run over in front of us - crossing and then doubling back over. Then to top it off we went for a little sunset walk on the beach and what should pop up but 5 friendly dolphins!! Talk about nature day. Thought you'd enjoy hearing about all the animals. Anyway keep enjoying your travels and don't get to used to the life of luxury!! Love and hugs Trueys

Tot: 1.001s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 25; qc: 203; dbt: 0.7877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb