Farewell to Paraburdoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Paraburdoo
May 26th 2013
Published: May 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

golf course golf course golf course

and iconic hills
Set off this morning for the last spin around Paraburdoo, a 10 k run, no pack, just camera tucked in the hand. Was not going to take it, but you never know and was glad I did as I had fun with Paraburdoo scenes, grey Falcons and corellas in the early light

Since the 5 x 30 km runs, I have done another 2 x 30's on the working week weekend, mostly to test out the hernia site to see if it had settled down with a few days off. It hadn't, 7 ks into the 1st day the area was really pinching me at every step. What to do? 'mana from heaven' is this my easy out? Limp home and start cancelling everything ? Insurance,hassle, end of this quest? Can barely do 7 ks with it let alone 250.

I had noticed that tightening the core muscles in the lower abdomen relieved the pain considerably, but didn't fancy shuffling and trying to keep that really tight even for 1 km. What about assisting these muscles with a belt or something? I had the medical box in the pack so something turned out to be a nice sticky compression bandage wrapped tightly round
golf clubgolf clubgolf club

under rays
the lower body, below the hips, covering the actual hernia operation area. The relief was instantaneous, finishing the 30 ks and the next day in good shape. Obviously the full weight of the stomach pressing down on the hernia site is aggravating something not quite right, but was sufficiently encouraged by the wrap to carry on with the project. Oh you all of the smooth body parts, you can keep your 'Brazilians', although I will be wrapping up the night before the race.

The exercise regime has been tapering off, the bulk of the hard work completed, now a few 10 k runs with days off in between. The next run was along the early streets of Perth before the 24 hour trip, Perth to Melbourne, Guangzhou to Urumqui in North Western China, where we will pick up the continuing travels.

The pack was crammed but down to 10.30 kgs without water, which will add another 2-2.5 kgs, 9 kgs + water is the aim including the 550 gram camera and batteries. Am already down to one set of running gear, with long skins and merino top at night, so there will be no more shaving of the clothing department. Which leaves meds and or food. Will wait to see what others are hauling around before making any more cuts.

I followed the recommendation of trying to carry all the race gear as carry on, so as not to be the one in a hundred who's gear doesn't turn up. That lasted to Melbourne before THE pack was assigned to check in. Luggage duly followed.

Adios good friend and colleagues in Paraburdoo as I set out on what sometimes feels like a Quixotic start to a new chapter.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

tidy towntidy town
tidy town

quick snatch of town on way past


31st May 2013

well done.
your photos come out very good, espeacialy the tidy town one,haha.

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb