Camels? - Here They Are!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Norseman
April 1st 2011
Published: April 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Camel teams were a common sight in the early daysCamel teams were a common sight in the early daysCamel teams were a common sight in the early days

now they can be seen on the round-about
Friday 1st April and a very loud HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our very special Son-in-Law, Darryl.

We must be suffering from a sort of ‘jet-lag’ because we woke up again at about 5.30am and jumped out of bed ready to start the day! To be fair, this is equivalent to 8.00am SA time so it’s just a matter of adjusting to sun-up and sun-down times which most of the other campers in WA seem to have adopted. We did a few jobs around the caravan and I got some washing done (and it literally blew dry in a few minutes!). Graham had a shave (the first for a week!) and then set about repairing the cycle rack. He seems to have fixed it but only time will tell. We’ve turned the table around 90˚ inside the caravan to try and create a bit more space to move about. It looks good so we’re annoyed that we didn’t think of it sooner.

We popped into town to post a few postcards, take a few photos and then we drove up to the town lookout. Norseman developed from gold mining, which still continues, and the evidence can be clearly seen from the lookout. It’s not beautiful but it is fascinating and they’ve tried very hard to inform tourist by establishing information boards in key locations. Norseman was actually the name of a horse which, in 1892, developed a limp which was found to be caused by a small nugget of gold trapped in its hoof. Soon after, serious mining began and the town adopted Norseman as its name.

We had some lunch in a café and went back to the caravan. I thought it would be lovely to speak to Darryl today as it was his birthday so we popped the laptop on and tried Skype and yes, even at 6.30am (UK time) DASH Racing was on-line. They had both managed to get a day working from home but we know, from when we were living there, that doesn’t mean a slack day – the opposite was often the case. Anyway, it did mean that their Skype was on so we rang, wished Darryl a happy birthday and had a lovely long chat. I actually forgot to sing ‘Happy Birthday’ but he was probably quite pleased he was spared!! On Saturday they are going to a ‘Medieval Banquet’ at Conkers which is in Moira village so no doubt they will have a good time and we look forward to seeing the photos!

A few other travellers came in during the day and we whiled away the afternoon chatting, reading or blogging. It’s very relaxing not having much to do and makes up for the times when we are travelling or site-seeing. Tomorrow we are heading for one of our favourite places from the last trip – Esperance. Because of our rapid journey across the Nullabor we will arrive in Esperance a day earlier than planned but the Caravan Park has confirmed that we can be accommodated.

So, for the very first time on this trip (as far as we can remember) we are publishing a blog on the actual day. We hope Darryl had a nice day and we’ll write more from Esperance.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Graham checking out the information Graham checking out the information
Graham checking out the information

at the Beacon Hill Lookout
Our new stubby holdersOur new stubby holders
Our new stubby holders

with Willy Wombat


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb