We love Ningaloo!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Ningaloo Reef
August 15th 2012
Published: August 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 47 – Wednesday 15th August – South Lefroy Bay, Ningaloo Station

More snorkelling, reading (Mark has now started the 3rd Millennium Trilogy book), diary writing, swimming with turtles, dolphin watching, dugong hunting (there is apparently a resident dugong in the next bay but Anna and I couldn’t find it while snorkelling), dune jumping, sand boarding and relaxing. Lots of relaxing and looking at the aqua sea.

We were happily minding our own business in the afternoon when we had a surprise visit from two officers from the Fisheries Department, who politely asked if they could have a look in our fridge (and freezer!) to check that we have been fishing according to the regulations. We dissolved into laughter and said they were welcome to check the fridge but the only fish we had was tinned tuna. We obviously look like good fishermen because they did indeed check the fridge for fish. As they were leaving we asked them for a few tips on how to catch something. “Get a boat” was their reply!

Our new friends from up the beach brought us some fish for dinner (red throat), which we coated in seasoned flour, pan fried and served with gourmet noodles and carrot sticks. Still have enough beer to drink one can and use another one to make more damper. Yum.

Tonight we read stories around the campfire from the Australian Aboriginal Tales book we found at the Cheltenham Op Shop. Ask us how the emu lost its ability to fly, go on!

It’s still really windy but we are used to it and a bit of sand in the tent, on the mattress, in our sleeping bags and in our food is a small price to pay for camping in such a fabulous spot.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb