Our little paradise


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Ningaloo Reef
August 14th 2012
Published: August 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 46 – Tuesday 14th August – South Lefroy Bay, Ningaloo Station

Relaxing, reading, snorkelling (following turtles around the bay), fishing and more relaxing were the main activities of the day today. Oh, and lots of diary writing and maths/literacy work for Anna and Luke. Mark and Luke made friends with the next door but one neighbours on the beach who have a boy and girl roughly Anna and Luke’s ages. They live in Cervantes, north of Perth and are here for a two week holiday enjoying the wonders of the sea. They have a tinnie but haven’t offered us a go in it yet!! We are having no luck fishing from the beach (admittedly not trying very hard) and reckon our chances would be better from a boat.

The wind is still pretty strong, but the sun is nice and warm to compensate (around 28 degrees). We will tough it out here! We tried out various sand dunes to see if we could get Telstra mobile reception and found we could get a couple of blobs of reception in a couple of spots. I never thought I would say this, but “good old Telstra!”. Luckily after the Olympics the sporting news is pretty quiet so Mark isn’t so desperate to check out BBC Sport each day. If you hold the phone high enough at the right angle you sometimes get enough coverage to download a website page you are interested in.

Another sunset. Another campfire and more damper. We are down to our last several cans of beer (no shops for hours!) and have had to make the decision to sacrifice one can to make each loaf of damper. But warm damper with butter and jam is such a nice treat round the campfire we thought it was worth it (and we still have a little bit of wine left).

We have decided to use up an extra day of our “spare” days and stay one more night here. According to the weather forecast the wind is due to drop tomorrow so we are in for another glorious day on the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb