Outback History


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » New Norcia
September 23rd 2011
Published: September 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mullewa Catholic Church 1Mullewa Catholic Church 1Mullewa Catholic Church 1

MS Hayes designed and built a number of churches from Geralton and inland in the early 1920s and 30s. Many think this church is one of his best. He generally built in local stone and timber.
The Australian outback cultural history since the arrival of Europeans is generally thought of as settlers battering heat and adversity in a hostile environment. Closely associated with this is the heavy drinking guys - miners and farmers etc.

European culture has placed an overlay that seems incongruous with the harsh country. The Catholic Church established many mission centres in WA. In the region behind Geralton there seems to be a couple of highlights. In the early 1900 MS Hayes, an itinerant Catholic Proest built a number of churches accross the inland towns as well in Geralton itself. His skill at designing and building these churches are well worthy of recognition irrespective of ones beliefs.

The other outstanding centre is New Norcica, Australia's only Benedictine town.
When I look at the history it is sad to see at this settlement the segregation of the races. Aboriginal children given limited education focusing on basic reading and maths, and skills training to be home servants for the girls and trade skills to work on rural properties for the boys. The schools, although adjacent are like chalk and cheese. While good intentions may have been to move the aboriginal children forward, one cannot help but think that this was the source of cheap labour for the enormous land allocations given to the Benedictine monks.

From the 1970s the schools progressively closed, and now host education courses for schools and other entities that promote the value of diversity and equality. So there are 4 schools empty, each with their own three story design featuring Hospitality, Education & Research and Peace. The Latin word PAX is central to the Benedictine philosophy. Pax = Peace.

So we have buildings built from the 1840s through to early 1900s.

On our tour we were able to see in a number of the Chapels used by the Monks, the local community and the european schools.

Enjoy the pictures below of this very spannish styled buildings in outback WA.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Mullewa Catholic Church 3Mullewa Catholic Church 3
Mullewa Catholic Church 3

A great symetrical design including an attractive alter.
Mullewa Catholic Church 4Mullewa Catholic Church 4
Mullewa Catholic Church 4

Stain glass was not all that common in the rural churches.
Mullewa Catholic Church 5Mullewa Catholic Church 5
Mullewa Catholic Church 5

Guess who went to confession today!
Morowa Catholic Church 1Morowa Catholic Church 1
Morowa Catholic Church 1

Again a rough hewn quarry stone church
Morowa Catholic Church 2Morowa Catholic Church 2
Morowa Catholic Church 2

A simpler interior and alter
Morowa Catholic Church 3Morowa Catholic Church 3
Morowa Catholic Church 3

Supposedly the smallest presbytry in the world. Hayes built this in his time as circuit priest. Barely enough room for a bed and a chair!
Morowa Catholic Church 4Morowa Catholic Church 4
Morowa Catholic Church 4

Interior of the presbytry.
Perenjori Catholic Church 1Perenjori Catholic Church 1
Perenjori Catholic Church 1

Quite different to his other churches, this one is rendered.
Pernjori Catholic Church 2Pernjori Catholic Church 2
Pernjori Catholic Church 2

Note the higher brighter lighting in this church.
New Norcia 01New Norcia 01
New Norcia 01

Guest hose and hotel for the town of New Norcica.
New Norcia 03New Norcia 03
New Norcia 03

Common to all the churches, hand crafted alters from local timbers and guilded.
New Norcia 04New Norcia 04
New Norcia 04

Elaborate ceilings. In this case they were added by the second Bishop who thought the first ceiling inadequate.
New Norcia 06New Norcia 06
New Norcia 06

The 12 stations of the cross decorate the walls of one church. These are not painings, but the colours used are each a laer of coloured plaster. The image has been created by shaving off upper layers to display the clour to create the image.
New Norcia 07New Norcia 07
New Norcia 07

This sight has many beautiful paintings. Many believe New Norcica has one of the greatest collections of religious art outside Europe.
New Norcia 08New Norcia 08
New Norcia 08

A very famous pipe organ with 4000 pipes. There are only two of this manufacturers organs still in full working order. This is the community church so it can be heard every Sunday.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb