Nanga Bay and Monkey Mia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Monkey Mia
November 18th 2010
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monkey MiaMonkey MiaMonkey Mia

The beautiful beach
Nanga Bay is just a resort and campsite. We were waiting for Lynsey's friend from home to join us, so this was just a place to stay before heading to Monkey Mia. Nanga Bay, as well as Monkey Mia, is in Shark Bay National Hertiage Area. Nanga was beautiful. The resort has its own pool and hot tub, which we could use for free and its own private beach. We went for a swim in the pool then headed to the beach. The water was warm and so clear! You could see all the fish swimming around and we were very lucky to see a sea turtle swim by! We met a couple of Aussie guys who were traveling around and spent the evening together around a camp fire. One guy could play the guitar and it turned out to be a really good night!

After picking up Lynsey's friend, we headed to Monkey Mia. A lot is written about Monkey Mia, how you can swim with dolphins and all the marine life you can see on the cruises. One thing for sure - it is a complete tourist trap! You have to pay to enter the park, whether you
Attacking emu!Attacking emu!Attacking emu!

Emu attacking our stuff!
are staying there or not. Then its expensive to camp, compared to other camp sites. The place is beautiful, and I am so glad we were there out of season! We turned up to the dolphin feeding to find loads of people there already! They only pick about three people to feed the dolphins and then thats it! Did get to see a dolphin calf though. When we were swimming in the sea during the day, some dolphins did swim quite close by us, which was a sight. In the evening we took a sunset cruise. Very nice with our bottle of wine! The next day we took another cruise to see the marine life. We managed to see dugongs, which are very rare. We saw some more turtles and some small (and harmless!) sharks.

The next day we found an emu walking around the site and it started to attack our tent while we were trying to pack up. It eventually moved on and we managed to get on our way to the next stop: Carnarvon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Me and HazelMe and Hazel
Me and Hazel

On the sunset cruise


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb