Margaret River


Advertisement
Published: April 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Full of expectation we set off in our "no birds" Bayswater Ltd Toyota Corolla hatchback for a week stay in Margaret River. 9days hire for 315$aus was good value and unleaded petrol at half the UK price!

Margaret River is about 3hours drive South of Perth. It is a pleasant and quiet town and a good base from which to explore the region. We had an apartment close to the centre of town.

The next day we drove to Busselton a very nice seaside town with a very long pier, just over 2km long.

It was a very hot day so instead of walking we were lazy and took the little train to the end of the pier.

Then we descended underwater to view the marine life on and close to the piles supporting the pier. This was far more interesting than we could have imagined. There were lots of different coloured corals and sponges and many species of fish to see.

We called in at Yallingup a pretty seaside village and then drove along scenic Caves Road through the centre of the wine region to Margaret River.

The next day we had a pleasant walk upstream along Margaret River through forest.

In the afternoon it was a great coastal walk from the beach cafe to surfers point and on to the mouth of the Margaret River. The following day there was time for a round of golf watched by the many kangaroos that live on the golf course!

One day was very special. It started with a vist to Jewel Cave. This is an amazing enormous underground cavern with superb stalactite and stalagmite formations. Then it was off to Cape Leeuwin the most South Westerly point in Australia. The isolated lighthouse looks over the Indian and Southern oceans. This was a spectacular coastal point, with strong gale force winds, the waves crashing in on the rocks near the lighthouse and coastal views.

On our way back to Perth we stopped off at the Juniper winery for some wine tasting then on to Bunbury where we saw several dolphins swimming close to the shore. A great end to our visit to a beautiful region.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



5th April 2016

Marvellous Margaret River
I'm so glad you've visited Margaret River. It's a lovely part of the world as are all the limestone caves in the Margaret River area. And, as you found, there are some great wineries in the area.
12th April 2016

Margaret river
Hope you are both keeping well. Many thanks for your comments that make doing the blog worthwhile. We are back home now dreaming of sunny Perth as it rains in the UK!

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb