Kangaroos on the beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Margaret River
February 21st 2013
Published: February 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Geographe BayGeographe BayGeographe Bay

Mountain biking towards Meelup Bay
It was early morning as we pulled into the car park at Meelup beach. Our mission was to mountain bike through the undulating bushland, then venture through some of the local wineries and finish off with a dip in the ocean at the tranquil spot, known as Meelup Beach.

The car park was empty, as it was still only 0700. But for those who venture to Western Australia in summer, this is the best time.

By 1000 the sun would be overhead and scorching. Even at his time you could feel its warm embrace.

As I unhooked my mountain bike, I noticed a movement by the beach. A startled kangaroo looked up and bounded past our car. After 10 years in Australia, this was the nearest I had ever seen one so close to the ocean. He stopped by the car, looked us over and hopped from sight into the nearby bushland.

In all, my mountain bike adventure took just three hours. We followed game trails through dense bush, found hidden gravel roads to the local wineries and stumbled across resting kangaroos, as the temperature increased.

Margaret River is an amazing part of Western Australia, but
Meelup BeachMeelup BeachMeelup Beach

Life savers weather report. Note the additional information on shark sightings
my advice is to get up early and embrace the area before the mercury rises.

Our dip in Meelup Bay was embracing. The kangaroo had vanished, replaced by a family enjoing a barbeque.

Best of luck with your day trip adventures

http://www.thecreativenomad.co

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb