Aboriginal learning


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Margaret River
January 14th 2011
Published: January 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning we went to check out the Margaret river surfing beach. The waves weren’t so good and no one was out surfing. So, we headed to the Aboriginal culture centre. Our guide took us around the bush and showed us all the different uses of the different trees. It was amazing to find out all the medicinal uses of these trees. What I really liked is that instead of killing the trees they just took what they needed from the trees.

After the bush walk we got to learn about all the tools aboriginals used. He explained about boomerangs and how they used all kinds of stuff from nature to make knives. It was really cool. He showed us how easily he could make a fire without any matches. That was really cool. He then brought out his didgeridoo and played us some songs. One of the older guys that worked there as well came out and showed us some dancing. Every dance tells a story. I found it really interesting and I'm really glad this was part of the tour.

We then headed up to an underground cave. The cave was discovered in the late 1800's and started out as a honeymooner's destination. It's very well set up now and we got to go exploring in it. Lots of stalagmites. It's about 100% humidity down there and it was sooo hot. Lots of stairs to climb and too many people made us all a bit short of breath.

It was now time to head back to Perth. I coudn't wait to have a shower! On our way back I got a message from my friend Jo to come meet up with them for some drinks once I was back in Perth. So after getting all cleaned up I headed out and met up with Jo, her friend Mairread and Dan (used to be one of the AMMS boys). Had a good night and had a great time on my tour. It was a ton of fun and i'm really glad I got to see the Southwest corner of Australia. Not a lot of backpackers get to this part of the country. Now to get some laundry done and prepare for my big long train journey across the Nullabor to Adelaide.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

big firebig fire
big fire

it had a different kind of smell to it
tool makingtool making
tool making

this stuff melts in the fire to a hard resin


Tot: 0.377s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 72; dbt: 0.2688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb