The dunes await Sir Lancelin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Lancelin
August 1st 2005
Published: August 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!Wheeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!Wheeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!

Fiona goes for a ride
The distances between places in Western Australia are unbelievable, you can drive for about 8 hours and only see two petrol stations, an emu or two and 333 thousand dead and rotting Kangaroo Carcasses (lovely!). Thus, we have had to stop in a couple of places with no real tourist attractions but just for a nights sleep before the next mammoth journey into the dessert.

Most of these places have been all right, and we really quite liked Port Hedland, however Dongara was another story.

We had to stop in Dongara on our way to Lancelin and booked in to the YHA there. We arrived late afternoon and were greeted by the friendly owner who told us that we were staying in a 'really nice room' so we were pretty chuffed. It turns out that we had a room in an old 1905 converted train carriage, a nice touch something different we thought.

As we were shown around the owner said there was a lady 'camping out' in one of the rooms and promptly shut the door.

Later on we met our neighbour who was 'camping out' when she wandered into the living area with shirt undone and breasts fully on show! Grunting like a wild animal she staggered through and filled up her mug with 'Lambrusco'.

We later discovered that this lady was recently discharged from hospital for alcoholism and depression amongst a few other psychological problems. I have to say I felt for her situation, that was until she riffled through our food bags looking for alcohol and accosted us in the hallway begging for alcohol.

An interesting experience of Dongara!

Happily we left for Lancelin the next morning. Lancelin was our last stop on our Western Australia Super Trip. We only spent one night here and spent our day running up sand dunes and whizzing down them again, great fun. Andrew opted for the full standy up sand board option where I took stock of my limitations in life and went for the sand sledge type option. A fantastic day of childlike fun and laughter, highly recommended to all.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb