7 - 10 June 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Lake Argyle
June 10th 2012
Published: September 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Kununurra has provided us with many wonderful locations over the past few days but still we have missed a bit due to not having access to a 4WD.

One of the main tourist attractions in the town is Kelly's Knob lookout which is superb as the sun sets. There are a few vantage points once you get up there and it makes for great photography when conditions are clear. There was a fire close by when we headed up there but that did not impact a great deal on the views out over the town.

On Friday we went to nearby Mirima National Park but unfortunately the main walking trail was closed for safety reasons. However, we were still able to walk a few trails and get up close to the stunning rock formations that have the most exceptional earthly colours. From there we went around to Lake Kununurra and took a stroll in the sun by the water's edge.

On Saturday we walked into town from the caravan park and spent an hour or so at Kununurra's Saturday morning markets. I had one of the tastiest mango icecreams that I have ever sampled. The food available at other stalls was also exceptional and diverse in variety. Later on in the afternoon we took a drive out to the Hoochery and sampled the rum made and barrelled at the site. The flavours of the rum were pleasant and relatively smooth but you definitely can only have a sample if driving as it packs a punch.

We booked in for a cruise out on Lake Argyle a few days earlier and it was time to head on out for the adventure on Sunday. After finding where our cruise launched from we headed to the Ord River Dam which is an engineering marvel. Fascinating.

The tour operators were informal yet informative and before long we headed out for the cruise on Lake Argyle. The fact that this body of water is man made takes a bit of shine off of the experience but nevertheless it is beautiful once you are out there in the sun. We spent most of the afternoon out on the water and were lucky enough to see fresh water crocs, rock wallabies and fish that were fed right next to the boat. The opportunities for photographs came thick and fast so I snapped away and we got a very nice afternoon treat with a few beers and snacks on offer. Rachel even took the opportunity for a swim at dusk with a few other adventurous punters and from the looks of the people who got in, the water was not exactly tropical.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb