Kununurra - Rice Farms


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kununurra
July 19th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another day in paradise !! After another quite morning we headed out to the Agricultural Research Station to have a look at the trial rice crops being grown in this area.

We were met by Dr Siva Sicapalan who is the Development Officer for Irrigated Agriculture with the Frank Wise Institute of Tropical Agriculture.

Siva took us to look at the trial plots on beds and flood irrigation before taking us to look at the commercial crops in the area.

It was interesting to see rice grown in a tropical area with a different set of conditions and different weeds (except for barnyard grass which grows here too).

After a great afternoon at the farms we headed back to town to replenish David's tacklebox as he had lost a few lures this morning barra fishing. David went out this morning and was casting lures at Ivanhoe Crossing and caught 2 barra about 35 cm and 2 at 45cm and one between 50-60 cm which straightened the hook and never made it to the bank.

It was Lisa's turn to cook tonight and we dined on Chicken & vege stir fry (yum).




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb