What a croc !!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kimberley
June 7th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Windjana Gorge EntranceWindjana Gorge EntranceWindjana Gorge Entrance

Luckily no one was to fat to get through
DAY 212


We were out of bed early, again the campsite was full of movement before 7.00, it seems that people are getting up early to tackle the walk into Windjana Gorge. Which is what we intended on doing, but time escaped us as usual.

While the tea was brewing I knocked up a Raisin Damper, this time splitting into 4 dough balls and placing them into the camp oven, in the hope that they would cook fairly quickly and well. After a while I checked them and turned them over to brown up and soon we were sat eating them hot with melted butter and cockys joy.

After breakfast with plenty of drink and our cameras we set off to walk into the Windjana Gorge, another “wow” moment, in fact you could say that you forget how to use other words in the English Language, as you are rendered speechless apart from the word “wow!”

We are walking into a gorge in the middle of the Devonian Reef, it is truly amazing, the reef is up to 100 metres high in places, the rock formations are truly amazing, you can see where the water has
Read the signRead the signRead the sign

If you didn't you may get your arm chewed off
undermined and carved its way under the reef leaving large overhangs and holes.

We walk along the river bank, there is a fair amount of water in the river, however there are huge sand bars visible, I am sure this river would be just as fascinating to see in the wet season, except that I believe there is probably no saying how high the water will reach, so you are probably safer out of it. Before you drive down the dirt track to the gorge there are signs up telling you if the road is open and to 4wd only, if it is closed then it would be deemed impassable due to heavy rains.

We knew that there would be a possibility of seeing Freshwater Crocodiles in this gorge we were looking forward to the prospect of seeing our first wild Australian Crocodiles, we did not have to wait long as we can see them basking on the sandbank across the river. Freshwater Crocodiles (Freshies) are not meant to be dangerous for humans, although if you corner one I am sure it would give you a nasty bite unlike their Saltwater cousins who are exceptionally dangerous.

Just
Sedate RiverSedate RiverSedate River

So sedate but full of crocodiles, (Freshies though)
in case I forget to mention it, it is a hot day, and the temperature in the gorge is hotter, you can feel the temperature increase almost as soon as you enter the gorge, there is some relief with shade provided by trees and other types of vegetation in the gorge.

While we were looking at the Freshies, Kirsty pointed out that she could see a Saltwater Crocodile (Salties), not big ones but you can see the difference between the Freshies and the Salties looking at their tails and their faces. Although the sign just refers to Freshies, there is always a possibility that Salties can come into these places, if you consider the wet season, the overflowing rivers and creeks, I am sure that anything can get to where it wants if it wants. Either way I would not argue with them, this is their territory and I have to respect that, so no swimming in this creek!
We walk on and find ourselves walking onto one of the sandbars, in the wet season you would not even get near it. We can see some Freshies basking on the edge of the water, I believe they try to
Stunning WalkStunning WalkStunning Walk

The limestone rock formtions were stunning
keep their body temperature at 32 degrees, we see some Salties also in amongst them, they are not big, but I would still not go near them. We see some kids run down to the edge of the water, Kirsty shouts out to them that it is a Salty and not to go any closer, their parents seem not to be too worried.

We walk on, the heat is searing we stop in the shade every now and again for a rest and a drink, we see more crocodiles and the bird life is plenty. A lot of people are walking today, two women walk past us and speak, we ask them how they are, the response came “we are b*gg*red!” They had walked right to the end of the gorge and were on their way back.

We almost got to the end of the gorge and decided to turn back, we were not too worried about getting to the end, we had a good walk and as we were taking plenty of photographs, and using the binoculars to spot the wildlife we were happy taking our time walking back.

Getting back to the restful shade on
Stunning WalkStunning WalkStunning Walk

On such a beautifly hot day
the campsite for a cup of tea was a welcome sight. It was still early afternoon, so we had a lunch of cheese and biscuits, you don’t feel like eating much in the heat of the day and rested for a while.

Something bit me on the posterior, I reached into my shorts to try and capture the culprit, to find a squashed ant, and they do pack a bit of a punch when they bite, but this one won’t be biting any more.

Kirsty saw some Black kites circling, so rolled some bread in to balls then threw it up in the air, these quite large birds of prey with a wing span of around 1.8 Mtrs swooped down and grabbed the bread usually before it hit the floor, and at one stage had about 8 blacks kites looking for a feed, we also threw some cheesy crackers out to see if their eye sight was that good and it was, they spotted these biscuits on the floor and swooped down to grab them. Caroline waited patiently for a good picture and was rewarded for her efforts.

Such a hot afternoon, I showered the site was getting very busy so again wanted to make sure that I had some hot water. It was lovely, hot and refreshing, when I returned to camp Kirsty was having a nana nap; Andy and Andrew were both sat reading the 4WD magazine looking very engrossed, every know and then they would both look up and talk some technical jargon before returning to what they were reading about.

It took no effort at all to relax; we were tired after our walk in the gorge. I typed up some of the blog and downloaded photographs. Since doing my photographic tour last week, Andy is expecting some good results from my camera, I would hate to disappoint.

Soon Andy retired, for his afternoon siesta, Kirsty was having one in their tent so I sat with Andrew typing the blog and Andrew continued to read the 4wd magazine.

When Andy and Kirsty re appeared separately, we enjoyed what was left of the lovely afternoon and as the light faded Andrew and Kirsty shot out in their Patrol to collect some Boab nuts whilst Andy and I started to prepare the evening meal.

Its only fair when Andrew and Kirsty
Rock FormationRock FormationRock Formation

Rocks formed in the Devionian Timeline
cooked for us, that it was our turn to cook for them and Andrew is particularly partial to Andy’s Curry’s so that is on the menu tonight.

Recently you have read that we were having problems with our Fridge, well it wasn’t the fridge per se but the second battery on the patrol. In a nut shell the first battery looks after the starting of the truck and the second battery supplies power to everything else that is not truck related such as running the fridge, charging the power Gorilla, so whilst the alternator charges both batteries it took us a while to realise that a cell on the second battery was dead and it didn’t have enough grunt to keep the fridge going when the truck was not on.

So back to it, now we have a new second battery the fridge is working to well, and the chicken breasts were frozen solid, so we had to boil a pan of water with the chicken in a separate container doing our best to thaw it out.

Andy prepared the heat beads for the camp oven as we wanted to curry to cook slowly, the slower the
Rock FormationRock FormationRock Formation

Rocks formed in the Devionian Timeline
better as finally the chicken had been browned, then the onions, chillies, garlic and the rest of the ingredients were put in to the camp oven, and as with any curry you have to have naan breads so we wrapped them in foil and put them on the lid of the camp oven to slowly warm.

By 8.00pm the curry was ready, rice was done and everyone was hungry, the lid was taken off the camp oven and we dished up, not a lot was said by any of us whilst Andy’s chicken curry was devoured.

Andrew and Kirsty contributed the pudding and Andy makes a mean pancake, we added a tin of fruit, cocky’s joy and some raspberry sauce.

Amazingly by 9.00pm the whole campsite was asleep, seriously it seems to get earlier, there was not a single light on anywhere except ours, we were still sitting out under the stars laughing and talking as usual, enjoying the great atmosphere and the cool evening.

We were in bed for 10.00 for another restful sleep in this great environment.




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Toothy GrinToothy Grin
Toothy Grin

I bet he brushes twice a day
FreshieFreshie
Freshie

They bask in the warmth of the sun
Happy BathersHappy Bathers
Happy Bathers

Cathing some rays
The real DealThe real Deal
The real Deal

These Freshies are the real deal
But!But!
But!

The do not like human inteaction, though they are prepard to fight if required, though happy to be left alone to sunbath
SleepingSleeping
Sleeping

In the warm water


9th June 2009

Travels
Still enjoying, very much, your travel blog. You are sure going into some lovely territory. Looking forward to more of your adventure.
9th June 2009

Morning
Hi Gary, wow we are so pleased you are still on board, the scenery is excellent and hopefully will only get better, today (Wednesday) we are heading off to Kununarra. We would just be interested to know a bit more about you really, out of being inquisative, where you live, what you do etc etc. If you fancy telling us a bit about yourselves do feel free to drop us a line. Our very best regards ndy & Caroline.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb