Bungle Bungles


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kimberley
August 5th 2008
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A very pretty drive south from Kununurra, then a hard FWD track for 50km east to Purnululu NP. We found a nice bush site to set up camp and made additional shade - it was now a sunny 34º - by tying a ground sheet between the tent and some trees. There were only communal barbecue areas, so we shared a fire with an interesting party - two young women with two little boys and one man.

We were up early the next day as we were still very much on central Australia time (1½ hours ahead of WA time), which was just as well as it was good to get going in the cool of the day. We drove to the northern area of the park and walked into Mini Palms Gorge (nothing special) and Echidna Chasm, a narrow vertical slit going 200m into the rock. There was a lovely orange glow all around from the sun shining on the orange rock at the top of the chasm and reflecting down. After lunch we sat out the heat of the day under our shade in the camp site, took a shower and had an early barbecue.

Again up early for a long drive to the south east to Piccaninny Creek. This is the famous area of the park covered with the orange and grey beehive domes. And it was spectacular. The scale of the rock formations is breathtaking with new even better views around each corner. We walked a few Kms to a lookout for views across the countryside and then to Cathedral Gorge where a waterfall down a fault in the rock has opened out a large cavern at the end of a narrow gorge. Finally we walked back to the car through beehive domes and lovely lush vegetation.
Next blog entry may not appear for two weeks, as we will be travelling the Gibb River Rd, where internet access is unlikely.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



6th August 2008

the beautiful Kimberleys
It sounds as though you are heading to Broome next? If you want to look at some stunning pictures of the aqua water of Broome you can visit my photo gallery at http://www.incitesolutions.com.au We were mesmerised by the water after the long dry run through the Kimberley. Although we loved it all. We were on the road for 6 months with two kids and travelled alot of Australia. It's great hearing about your adventure!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb