Australian Adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Karratha
September 1st 2014
Published: September 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi travel followers.

After almost another week (the days just seem to disappear) we thought it was time to post the latest travel blog on what we have been up to and where we have been.

Picking up from where we left off in Broome, we spent a couple of more days there heading down to the point to view the Dinosaur foot prints (at very low tide) on the rocks. I must say it is extraordinary that they have survived the ravages of the sea. The following day we did a whale watching and sunset cruise and what an excellent day it was as we have never done one before. Large amounts of whales including a mother whale teaching her calf how to "breach". What a demonstration it was. The calf just kept breaching time and time again. Mum must have told him to just keep doing it until you get it right, but it was getting its whole body, tail and all out of the water. Spectacular.

After Broome we headed for Port Headland with an overnight stay at Pardoo.

I must say there wasn't a lot to see at Port Headland as it is mainly just a Salt and Iron Ore loading facility for the ships to China, but to see the endless 3.5km ore trains disappear into the distance is quite daunting.

From there we headed to Point Sampson, Cossack and Roebourne for a day or so to check out the sights and mining dump trucks etc. before again moving to Karratha and Dampier for a few days to restock with groceries and fuel and then check out the sights which included Hearson's Cove and the Deep Gorge Petroglphs (aboriginal rock carvings).

After that we did a bit of 4X4 driving up the Burrup Peninsular to check out the Gas fields and the loading of the massive Liquid Natural Gas ship before heading down to Withnell and Conzinc bays which were absolutely beautiful.

From there we headed into Dampier to say hello to "Red Dog" (from the movie) or at least his statue. We had a picnic lunch on the beach overlooking the harbour and afterwards checked out the loading of the salt and Iron Ore ships headed again for China. To see all these resources heading off shore it makes you thing Australia has to be getting lighter. Also seeing the massive holes they are making in the ground to extract the Iron Ore it make you think they are trying to cut down on shipping costs by digging a hole direct to China and delivering it direct.

Hope you like the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



2nd September 2014

Sound like you are living the dream guys the photos are great.
2nd September 2014

Thanks.
Thanks Roz. We planed for this for a long time from our bucket list and it looks like it all came together and is working excellent for us. I am also glad you like the photos as some of the places we are visiting are spectacular and very hard to take good photos of.
8th September 2014

Great Photos of-
The Broome Sunset, the Iron ore train, the endless road and the beautiful whales!!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb