Dales Campground – Karinjini National Park (Friday 5th July – Monday 8th July)


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We continue our trek east and the landscape transforms into vast mountain ranges signaling our arrival at Karinjini. We set up at Dales Camp Ground and are keen to explore the nearby Fortesque Falls and Fern Pool. We follow the path down into Dales Gorge and are immediately impressed by the amazing rock formations and beautiful waterfalls. We all enjoy a swim in the cool Fern Pool as the sun rapidly disappears behind the gorge walls.

The next morning we pack our backpacks with lunch and towels, put on our sneakers (we haven’t worn shoes for 2 months) and head back to Dales Gorge. We spend the day walking, clambering over rocks, step stoning over water pools and absorbing the sights and sounds at the bottom of Dales Gorge sandwiched between the amazing fifty metre rock walls that rise above us on both sides. We reach Circular Pool and enjoy a picnic lunch before a brave swim in the freezing cold water. After some time mimicking lizards sunning ourselves on the rocks, we warm up and climb out to the top of the gorge where we get to experience the different landscapes and views from the top of the gorge looking down. After a full day of walking we can’t resist but to head down to Fern Pool for one last swim before the sun disappears for the day once again.

Our last day at Karinjini is spent learning about the history of this amazing place at the visitor’s centre before we drive north to check out more of this unique park. We view Joffre and Knox Falls from the lookout platforms that sit precariously at the top of these massive gorges and provide a spectacular view of the rock ledges and the falls hundreds of metres below.

We then drive out to Hancock Gorge and don our backpacks again and are ready to explore this gorge and find our way to Kermits Pool. What an adventure we were in for, we had to climb down ladders, clamber over rocks, cling to and climb along rock ledges and walk or swim (Matt and Ki) through freezing cold streams strewn with slippery moss covered rocks. We eventually found ourselves at the beautiful vista of Kermits Pool where only the brave (Ki, Matt & Hannah) swam, while the rest of us enjoyed taking in the spectacular scenery. The Gordon and Collopy families lined up on the rock ledge for a group photo on our last day together before we turned around and completed the adventurous route back through the gorge to our waiting chariots...and cool beers.

Another action packed day raced by and we enjoyed a last shared meal of delicious fish cakes, crumbed calamari, chips and salad, topped off with James’ delicious chocolate pudding.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb