2 July A day of rest - sort of....plus Kalamina Gorge


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

2 July

The night is freezing cold, -2 overnight to be exact but the bed is very comfortable. The only problem is that if you roll over the part of the bed that you roll into wakes you up because it is cold. We have used the blankets provided in the Eco Tent, we'll try out our own doona tonight and see if that is any better.

This morning is a late start to the day, after breakfast whilst Sandy is in bed reading I start trying to work out if for our return trip I can get by without having the roof racks and basket on the car. After some shuffling around of left over food as well as different bits of gear we have used throughout the trip I think I have it worked out. Confidant enough that I have taken the racks and basket off the roof of the car. Let's hope the planning and visualization of where everything will fit really does work.

Lunch is over at the Eco Retreat restaurant, a couple of beers and a hamburger...very nice!

After lunch we head off again this time to check out Kalamina Gorge. A relatively easy decent and walk compared with some of the others we have been experiencing, but you still need to be cautious as there are areas where the footing is very loose.

Once into the gorge the first thing you notice is the picturesque waterfall not far from where you have entered the gorge. Then it's off downstream to see where the arch is. Starting off the beginning of the walk is fairly easy with wide open spaces and the appearance of the rocks is almost like a footpath. This then gives way to some scrambling over rocks, fallen trees and some water crossings. Fortunately the water crossings are no more than 1 cm deep and in most places do not involve even getting wet if you negotiate the rocks carefully.

With only 500m or so to get to the arch Sandy decides that it is getting a little to difficult for her and decides to heads back to the car. I keep going to the arch. Basically a large window in the rock wall around 30m up from the base of the gorge. A few photos then a quick return up the gorge to meet up with Sandy at the base of the track out of the gorge.

Debbie has cooked up a beef casserole for tea, so after a few pre dinner drinks we all sit around in the caravan for a bowl of mashed potato and casserole. After cleaning up the dishes from dinner its back on again for 500. The score this time is one each.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb