Cape Range to Karijini


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Cape Range to Karijini



The coastal winds have been picking up the past few nights, so we decided to move on to a more central Western Australian location. We started our drive into town at Exmouth early, fuelling up at Caltex – 91.2L @ 182.8c/L.
From here, it was a long drive with many cattle roadkill, one every seventy kilometres or so! The road trains don’t even seem to break for upcoming herds of cattle.
After getting more fuel at Paraburdoo (just enough to get us to Tom Price) – 9.1L @ 164.9c/L, we drove on towards a supermarket and yet another visitor centre to get some more maps and local knowledge on Karijini National Park.
Fuelled up all our tanks at Shell (Tom Price) – 95.2L @164.9c/L and headed into the National Park to stay at Dales Campground. This was the usual $14/night unpowered site, and we were warned the weather was to be mostly overcast and some rain to head in this direction over the next few days.
Due to the weather forecast we got stuck into the walks around Karijini, checking out the beauty of Circular Pool, Dales Gorge, Knox and Jeffer Gorges as well as a more challenging route down Hancock Gorge to Kermits Pool. Along this track we clinged to cliff edges, walked through the gorge waters and did a ‘spider walk’ down the vertical walls that formed the gorge. This was by far the best national park walk we’ve been on!
Karijini has many cute and not so cute reptiles around the park, with hundreds of lizards that vary in size from around 4cm up to 30cm. While driving we came across a black headed python who was very aggressive towards our car tyre despite the obvious size difference! Apparently there are dingos in the region, maybe they make most of their appearances at night as we only heard a dingo scuffle and growl outside our camper in the early hours of the morning. Not long after there was the sound of rain hitting our fibreglass roof and we were glad once again not to be camping in a tent!
We plan to head towards Broome and Cape Leveque over the next few days so like most of our trip, will be out of phone reception again!

695Km’s this leg of our journey
Total Km’s so far this trip 9677



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



6th May 2011
Circular Pool

WOW
Wow that looks amazing.......you've done an awesome job of the pictures guys!!! Missing you both, can't wait to see you!!!!

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb