Kalbarri excursion


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
June 13th 2012
Published: June 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jun 13th

The weather is finally getting back to normal. We have been in contact with Jayde who has let us know that the house survived the storm last night. So now it's time to get back to normal and enjoy the adventure. Debbie is getting over her cold but is still far from well and the pelicans once again were a no show for breakfast feeding. Today was Steve doing the driving in the Land Cruiser. We have headed off south along the coast after finding out that the road to natures window and z bend was still closed (very frustrating). Today our first stop was the Rainbow Jungle bird sanctuary. Some beautiful colours on the parrots and galahs.And quite a spectacular walk through aviary.

From there it was onto Lynton Station and the convict ruins. Such an important part of the region's culture and it has been allowed to get to a virtual ruin. Thanks to the new owners this is now being restored to be a worthwhile local attraction, and there is no charge for the entry. Climbing to the top of the hill revealed a sculpture dedicated to a previous owner riding his bike as well as a golf tee high on the hill. Golf anyone?

Then on to Port Gregory for aquick look and lunch at the local general store. One of the main natural attractions near Port Gregory is Pink Lake. Yes it really is pink. Apparently caused by bacteria trapped in the salt Granules (beta carotene)

Then we were off to another country, well at least another province. Hutt River Province. Hutt River Province seceded from Australia in 1970 after a dispute over wheat sales. unfortunately the property is now becoming quite derilect and unkempt. From there it was back to Kalbarri to refuel the cars and start packing up ready for tomorrow's drive to Denham.

Sunset tonight was a stand out from the last few nights no wind and only a light cloud cover. Also the surf has started to subside and get back to normal heights. Back to the cabin for a leftover tea with bolognaise sauce turned into barrido sauce. Surprisingly tasty way to change Italian into Mexican.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb