5 - 6 May 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
May 6th 2012
Published: May 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

DongaraDongaraDongara

Rachie on the coast
It looks as though the sunny weather has disappeared for a while and the last few days have generally been cloudy and wet but it's still quite tolerable as the temperature is mild.

Saturday started very wet but started to clear mid-morning as we sauntered around Dongara and took a look at the local markets. As we headed towards Geraldton we had to literally dodge some tumble weeds along the highway that were the size of beach balls........thought you only saw such things in bad westerns.

After a pit stop in Geraldton we moved to the mid-west coastal town of Kalbarri. The town came highly recommended and on first look it did not disappoint. Surrounded by a rugged coastline and a national park it looks to be a beautiful spot. Our campsite at a local caravan park was overlooking the Murchison River which near sunset was fantastic. After settling in we took a walk around the point where the river meets the ocean and that made for some stunning views.

On Sunday we drove back towards the coastal attractions we had missed the day before. This is the sort of thing I was really looking forward to seeing.
Dongara (2)Dongara (2)Dongara (2)

Another Morton Bay Fig Tree
The might of the Indian Ocean crashed into sheer cliff faces and we saw some terrific rock formations and valleys.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

KalbarriKalbarri
Kalbarri

Murchison River looking towards the ocean
Murchison RiverMurchison River
Murchison River

Overlooking the river mouth
KalbarriKalbarri
Kalbarri

On the beach
Fishing?Fishing?
Fishing?

The channel where local boats head out to the ocean
Red BluffRed Bluff
Red Bluff

Looking towards the Bluff
CampsiteCampsite
Campsite

Overlooking the Murchison


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb