Fun and games!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
November 20th 2009
Published: November 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 208 - Kalbarri

It’s great being in the midst of a huge family atmosphere again, there’s never a dull moment and it’s lovely that we’ve managed to change the dynamic of this sleepy caravan park into one which is buzzing with laughter and fun.

The wind isn’t so bad this morning and so we decide to go off for a snorkel at Blueholes while the others check out the Seahorse Sanctuary and the Parrot place. Nige ended up getting dropped off with us but the minute we walked down to the beach we realised that today was not the day for a snorkel! Had we got down here earlier we would probably have been ok but the water was really choppy now and there was no way Nige was getting in! Instead he took some photos for us (you’ll get to see them sometime soon!) and we had a bit of a snorkel about but the water was churned up so the visibility wasn’t great.

It’s such a shame that Kalbarri is not showing itself in the best light at the moment, but we love it here anyway and can almost guarantee that on the day we come to leave the wind will have dropped, the sun will be out and the hoards will start to come this way ready for Christmas! To rent a house here over the holiday period will cost around $475 per day and the volunteers at the Pelican feeding expect 600+ people to rock up! A busy Kalbarri versus a windy Kalbarri - we’ll take windy every time!

The campsite was alive with the rumble of motorbikes through late morning, a large assembly of bikers arrived! We kept meaning to go and photograph some of the bikes as they looked pretty awesome and the bikers were of course lovely but there was already a buzz flying round camp with worried looks and disgruntled faces. “Oh great, now we’re going to have the place flooded with cops and we won’t even be able to have a drink” said one lady as she walked passed us. Here’s betting that we don’t hear a peep out of the group all night - nobody will be able to hear them over us anyway!

The rest of the afternoon was filled with guitar practise, car cleaning and playing with the kids! The boys went fishing and I later drove out to see how there were doing down on Chinamans Beach. I found things hadn’t gone well, Darryl had caught two puffer fish so far - one ‘up the bottom’ - and as they are venomous they had to be thrown back in.

Simone did a wonderful job with dinner, a very yummy spaghetti bolognese and then everyone crept out of the wind and into the Reeves awning for more games of Rummikub and Celebrity Head! For the second night in a row one of the winners of Rummikub when declaring themselves out and triumphantly standing up revealed a left over tile on their seat - Simone! The blue number 8 this time, perhaps we’re going for a run!

Celebrity Head brought the house down. Karen was “Julia Roberts” but was struggling and when she’s asking questions like “Is my hair black” and getting the answer “Yes” it’s hardly surprising! Darryl almost stole the show with his rendition of Jack and the Beanstalk. The game had been going on for so long that divine intervention was needed but when it came he just stringed it out with questions like “Did I take a pig to market”! It didn’t make the game any shorter in the end!

It was pretty nice having such a relaxed day, we’ll be back on full pelt tomorrow though!

Dar and Sar


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb