Will the real Andrew Trenfield Please stand up


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
May 6th 2009
Published: May 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Golden OrbGolden OrbGolden Orb

Sue tells me this is a Golden Orb, I think these are not poisonous but horrid all the same.
DAY 180

I was christened Andrew Trenfield, and I personally like being him, everyone calls me Andy, even when I young and naughty It was always Andy. I am the last in the male line of Trenfield’s after my Father Derek Bertram Trenfield and his brother Leslie George Henry Trenfield, and as Caroline and myself do not have children then that’s it. The only time I have ever being aware of some else called Trenfield was when I was young and a family called Trenfield moved in to the “village” that we lived in, they were pools winners and people thought it was us!

Coronation Beach camp site was great but we were moving on today moving up to Kalbarri which was the plan, we only stopped at Coronation for one night as we were running late and it would have been dark before getting into Kalbarri. We had quite a leisurely “get up” , we got our stuff together and packed the trailer.

They have a shower cubicle that you have to provide your own water for, so as we had the shower bag we boiled a kettle and a Billy Can full of water, after adding some cold water we both had a nice warm shower. We took it in turns to get wet, soap up and rinse off before the water was all gone, success we both were nice and clean for our onward journey.

Caroline bumped into Jasper by the loo’s, not a good place to bump into anyone but she was in there photographing a monster spider, we have no idea what spider it was but it was big and we are sure that it would put you off your cornflakes.

Saying goodbye to Jasper and his family, they were staying another night which was a big pity as we could have had an evening get together, but they will head up to Kalbarri so you never know our paths will probably cross again.

We left the site and paid on the way out only 10 bucks and it was worth every cent, so back on the road with only 120K’s to Kalbarri.

Towns now are starting to be less built up and the temperature is definitely getting hotter, we are at about the 9 O’clock position on a clock face, and considering we started at the 3.00 O’clock
InsideInsideInside

This is the newly refurbished building, the one with the visitors book.
position we have covered nearly 25,000 kilometres, just getting around to where we are, there is still a huge distance to cover but the towns are now going to be fewer with longer distances in between.

On route we stop at a site called Lynton that was previously a Convict Depot in the 1800’s so being dutiful tourists, we jump out of the truck, put our hats on, grab our camera’s and head for some photographic action.

After a walk around we pop in to one of the renovated buildings where we find a visitors book, I pick up the pen and bend down to fill in our entry and the name before ours was Charlene and Andrew Trenfield from Orelia (we later researched this and found out that Orelia is a suburb of Perth), it was a jaw dropping moment, someone else called Andrew Trenfield, Caroline exclaimed with despair “oh no you mean to say there are two of you?”

Back on the road again towards Port Gregory and passed the Pink Lake (lots of pink lakes around Australia) looking for a place suggested in our Camps 5, Wagoe Chalets and Camping Area (Camps 5 447,
GravesGravesGraves

These 3 graves are a little bit down the track from the convict depot.
page 331 WA), so we would investigate before we committed ourselves, as this site was 20K’s outside of Kalbarri it may be a little bit too far away from the action and what we wanted to see and do there.

Caroline went in to find out how much they charged which turns out that it was ridiculous for what was on offer, ok the view was mind blowing, overlooking the sand dunes and on to the Indian Ocean but, everything else was basic, we don’t mind basic at $10.00 but not at $22.00, so we punted it on in to Kalbarri.

On route we pulled in to a few lookout points as we have followed the coast road, and whilst looking over the continuous blue of the ocean saw a pod of Dolphins, just slowly swimming along and occasionally jumping out of the water. They are difficult to count but we reckon there were about 12 in number. We hope to see a Whale, it is actually the right time of year, they do say from May to October, but I guess the Whale’s don’t have a calendar they just migrate when they feel like it.

It’s a funny sort of a place, on reflection there is not much here and situated in the middle of nowhere, we had a couple of idea’s of camp sites and the first one we came to “Tudor” caravan park suited us just fine, with the things we need like power, shower, pool, good camp kitchen and Laundry. So we booked a couple of nights before we set off for a major hike to Karratha, Broome and Darwin stopping at places like Monkey Mia on the way.

It was domestic chores this afternoon, taking all our bedding and hanging it on the line to give it a good airing then sweeping the truck out, we even managed to relax for a while and read our books before we finished off the odd jobs, then in no time at all it was time to prepare our evening meal, and as we had meat in the fridge and a bag of vegetables we were anticipating using our camp oven “Cooking pot” I rustled up a stew, which only took an hour or so. The preparation was quick it is just the cooking that took the time, but while it was cooking we
GrandstandGrandstandGrandstand

These cliffs are amazing
could talk to others in the camp kitchen.

We sat chatting to a couple of people who were also on an adventure from Victoria and planned to be away for 7 months. While we were talking we found out that this couple were well equipped with 1 fridge, 1 freezer (enough food supplies for 5 days), satellite phone, compressor, solar panels, Emergency Beacon and any other piece of “handy” equipment that one might need for every eventuality out on road or “off road” we should say.

These guys do a lot of free camping and they have no problem just driving off the road and finding a quiet spot for the night, they would usually pitch a tent, and make sure that they are hidden from the road.

They also tell us that they have done the Canning Stock Route, which is a big No No when you are travelling alone (Caroline originally wanted to do this one but after some research realised that we could not do it alone), they explain that sometimes if you are in town you can find others who want to do the route and will wait around in order to make a up group so that you can all travel together “safety in numbers”, if you broke down or got bogged somewhere like the Canning Stock Route then there is potential to have to wait for days before help arrives (and that’s probably only if you are able to raise the alarm).

The camp kitchen was a lively place this evening, there appear to be lots of backpackers, mainly from Ireland and it seems like they are in the party spirit, the music is on and the drink is flowing, after dinner we go back to the peace and quiet of our trailer. Caroline reads for a while and I finish the blog.

The evening was lovely and warm and soon time to get to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

More CliffsMore Cliffs
More Cliffs

on the Kalbarri Coast
Kimberley CamperKimberley Camper
Kimberley Camper

Another type of off road camper, this one pops up to make a full size caravan.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb