Days 48-53 at El Questro


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Gouldian Finch (cropped)Gouldian Finch (cropped)Gouldian Finch (cropped)

Arguably, Australia's most colourful bird. Also on the endangered list.
Included in the price of the Riverside Bungalow (special offer) was breakfast so we took advantage of the offer and had a leisurely breakfast.

When we went to move the Cruiser to the campground there seemed to be a problem with the electrics. Luckily, we were able to get some assistance from the resident electrician, Neville who was most helpful. Neville did a series of test on the batteries and then recommended that we replace the "house" battery. This is the expensive battery that runs all of the equipment (read the Engel fridge) that is attached to the vehicle. Neville arranged for us to order a new battery from Kununurra which would be delivered with other ElQ equipment and supplies.

We booked into the campground at reception with Marg and then took the rest of the day off to decide how we might tackle all of the activities that ElQ has on offer.

The Chamberlain River Gorge Cruise was high on the priority list and we managed to get on to the next days cruise with Callum and Paul. Callum was the driver and Paul the resident Ranger / Scientist who provided the commentary. No crocs but we managed to see barramundi, catfish and the delightful Archer Fish (who squirt water at their prey). The archer fish have been fed by ElQ (and visitors) for some time now and they all congregate (to be fed and to squirt people).

On Friday, Neville installed the new battery and later in the day, Georgi had her first 4WD lesson as we headed to Pigeon lookout. The river crossing was relatively straightforward, but the track up to the lookout was very steep with a large hole near the edge. I shouted to Georgi to stop (so that we might check out this large hole) but she (and the Cruiser) just sailed on through the hole and up to the top of the ridge! Great driving! We had Jansz and offered to share with some others who also made it to the lookout but they moved on so we could be alone for the sunset.

Saturday came and we decided a short walk was required. We took the trail to Telecom Hill and that was enough for us. On Saturdays the restaurant is closed and the bar arranges a BBQ. We enjoyed the live music by Chris Mathews. Neville dropped
Breakfast in the RestaurantBreakfast in the RestaurantBreakfast in the Restaurant

So much information to read and understand
by to share a drink and some stories.

ElQ has a bird hide which is close to the Station and we had discovered that the Gouldian Finch had been recently seen there. We arose very early Sunday (before sunrise) to get to the bird hide and check out the birds. We were lucky to see the Gouldian Finch (and lots of other birds) and a celebration breakfast at the Restaurant was necessary. Later that day, we went on the Sundown horse ride. Georgi hadn't ridden (a horse) for many years but took to the job comfortably. I'm pretty sure the horses were in charge despite us having the reins.

Monday arrived and we decided that we should do a longer walk - Moonshine Gorge walk requires you to drive down a track (with some deep creek crossings) to arrive at the start of the walk. The walk starts hot as you struggle up a steep hill (to a lookout) and then meanders along until you reach the permanent Moonshine Creek. This is a lovely walk now as you wander along the banks of the creek and rock hop across the creek and back again. The gorge is spectacular as you will see in the attached photos.

We had planned to make it to Zebedee hot springs earlier but there was always something else to do (like resting) so as our time for leaving ElQ approached we knew that we would have to find time to check out these well known springs. As someone commented "it's like a fake movie set, but it's real". The palm trees are gorgeous and you keep thinking a dinosaur could stick its head around the side of a rock! We stayed in the water until it was time to get out (the springs are reserved for tour groups and Homestead guests in the afternoon).

You might think that all of the different tour groups (caravanners, campers, bustours) might not choose to mingle but at El Questro the bus groups were camped next to the general campground. They were generally young and sometimes noisy (but always friendly). We met Sarah (a hostess? from Kimberley Wild Tours) who gave us some oranges just before they were scheduled to depart to Kununurra to restock the pantry (trailer). Sarah was lovely to chat to.

El Questro is a great place to visit (and we could have stayed a lot longer). We chose not to do some of their longer walks (or drive the tougher 4WD tracks) but it was a very pleasant place to relax and the staff were all great.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Captain CallumCaptain Callum
Captain Callum

The Chamberlain Gorge River Cruise
Ranger PaulRanger Paul
Ranger Paul

The Chamberlain Gorge River Cruise
Feeding timeFeeding time
Feeding time

Barramundi, Catfish and Archer Fish all waiting for a feed.
Lenny and NevilleLenny and Neville
Lenny and Neville

enjoying a beer at the BBQ


18th January 2016

Sarah from Kimberley Wild
Hi guys! I just came across your blog by chance! So glad you enjoyed those oranges in the kimberley heat. So now I have bumped into you twice on the road and once online! We must stop meeting like this. It's such a small - and wonderful - world we live in. Warmest regards, Sarah
19th January 2016

Sarah from Kimberley Wild
Great to hear from you Sarah. We'd love to be up north now and catching the end of the wet season. If you are ever down this far south, feel free to look us up. I'm sure we will cross paths again sometime. Cheers, Lenny and Georgi

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 11; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb