Day 47 - On the Gibb River Road at last (to El Questro)


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Gibb River Road sign board on the Great Northern HighwayThe Gibb River Road sign board on the Great Northern HighwayThe Gibb River Road sign board on the Great Northern Highway

50 kms south of Kununurra. The start of an epic journey...
Finally, (after some more last minute shopping) we were ready to go. Our last activity in Kununurra was coffee at Wild Mango of course.

Our first stop would be El Questro (or ElQ as it is known locally). This is a large complex comprising the original (exclusive) Homestead, the Station (where we will be staying) and Emma Gorge (a separate location which has upmarket accommodation).

We took the obligatory photo at the Roadside "Road Conditions" sign board and continued on to Emma Gorge (which is just before ElQ).

We drove the 3kms in to the carpark at Emma Gorge where we met some people who had just completed the walk. The lady had fallen over (it's a walk up a dry river bed to the gorge with a permanent pool) and they were doing it tough. We decided to press on to ElQ and get settled and make a note to come back to Emma Gorge at a later date (maybe on the way out).

Georgi thought we were camping but I had booked one of the Riverside Bungalows for the first night. We checked in, made ourselves comfortable and had dinner at the restaurant. What a lovely introduction to ElQ!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb